In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning a-bolt 300 win mag

redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a Browning a-baol chambered in 300 win mag. i have looked on Brownings web site i can not find the rate of twist? Any help? Also im looking into reloading for the 300 win mag Im not shooting distance!! short range only out to 300yds what would be a good bullet weight for hunting hogs and whitetail?

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot a 300 Win Mag for 40+ years, I shoot 180 gr. Nosler Partician or Accubonds, over 75grs. H4831SC with a Win LR primer. I would start at 73 grains and work up, watching for presure signs.
    This load in that 40+ year old rifle will still shoot a 3 shot 1/2" group at 100 yards with Accubonds.
    The 300 mag is a lot of gun for white tail, be fine for hogs I guess. I've killed a bunch of elk with mine, I shoot a 270 for deer.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    redhead71,

My list states that it is a 1:10" twist which is the most common for .30 caliber rifles. There are exceptions of course so you should check if you have a question on others. This is done with a cleaning rod, jag or brush and a mildly tight fitting patch.

While bullet weight is usually the core of discussion for bullet choices and game, don't forget to consider bullet construction. Hogs and deer are completely different anatomically, both requiring different bullets if you are inclined. There are some bullets which will work for both like the Barnes TSX or the all-time favorite, the Nosler Partition but generally I load for the game at hand.

For whitetail, I've used everything from Remington factory Core-Lokt up Berger and Hornady Match bullets with equal results, meat in the freezer. A quality spitzer flat base or boat tail will work if your rifle likes it. Just avoid the old and stupid suggestion of using a should shot. Practice for accuracy from field positions and shoot the heart or neck. If you don't have a good shot, don't make a bad one.

We shoot hogs with pistols at close range but have resorted to rifles when the distances open up. They can be killed with a .223 Rem. when you put it in their ear but most folks opt for larger calibers and more generic shots. If you have a lot of shooting to do as with depredation hunting for smaller hogs, I'd opt for a lighter bullet in the 150 gr. to 165 gr. range. But if you're after just that one certain big guy, I'd use a heavier, stoutly constructed bullet like the 180 gr. Nosler or Barnes.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks,I do agree 300 winmag is alittle much for hog, but I will mostly hunting Deer and Bear here in Minnesota. On the 180 grain load, would it usefull to down load the round? Not pushing the fps, but pushing the knock down?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    redhead71,

I load for accuracy not necessarily velocity + energy. You can usually find two or three accuracy nodes in a load ladder so if you want to use the lesser velocity node with commensurate accuracy, have at it. No harm, no foul.

Enjoy the process and the hunting!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    redhead71,

I load for accuracy not necessarily velocity + energy. You can usually find two or three accuracy nodes in a load ladder so if you want to use the lesser velocity node with commensurate accuracy, have at it. No harm, no foul.

Enjoy the process and the hunting!

Best.

thanks, i think i found my load! i load already for 308 and 30/06 i have some Hornady 150gr interlock and a good suply of imr 4320 and 3031, h4895 and Varget
    150 GR. SIE SP Hodgdon Varget .308" 3.340" 56.0 2952 43,300 CUP 60.0 3108 51,400 CUP
    150 GR. SIE SP Hodgdon H4895 .308" 3.340" 57.0 2991 47,300 CUP 61.0 3124 52,500 CUP
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1973 I killed a Nice Elk in The Bob Marshall with a 300 Win Mag. My gun was a Remington 700 with a 24" barrel. Hit in the shoulder with one shot...(only 50 yards)...it dropped like a rock! I was using the old stand by...180 Grain Remington Pointed Soft Points.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    180gr pill, RL22 and go from there. That will serve you from deer clean up to elk.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    And if you hate tracking anything more than about 8', use the Nosler 220gr. Partitions out to 400 yards for a DRT effect.
    Something about that big, lead nose that whomps 'em good.
    I make sure to put a shoulder on the backside of the shot to save the meat.