In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope mounting base lesson learned

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I just found out why an ENCORE 6BR pistol barrel was shooting low and almost out of UP adjustment on the scope to hit center, there was only four clicks of UP left at 100 yards........

There was about a .010 layer of thread locker UNDER the front of the base. It seems I waited too long to torque the screws, allowing the thread locker to set up between the scope base and barrel. With that extra .010 under the front of the base it tipped the scope UP causing shots to go way LOW. [:I]

I am quite sure I can gain most of the scope adjustment back now that the base is in full contact with the barrel, I made sure each screw would bottom out in its hole and still hold the base. This time the base will be in full contact with the barrel. Now if the rain will quit.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the bright side: you learned it before you bought a different scope to replace the "defective" one. And you hadn't taken it to a $50/hour gunsmith who smugly pointed out your dumb mistake.

'Course, you DID admit your dumb mistake here... But at least the rest of us can smile in the secret knowledge that we've all done things equally as dumb. I know I have.

Good catch, bro.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky,

"And you hadn't taken it to a $50/hour gunsmith who smugly pointed out your dumb mistake."

Rarely have I found gunsmiths to be 'smug' when a client error is found to have caused a problem. Most are relieved if they find that the problem is that simple and easily fixed. Clients often are undercharged because they have no idea of the time it takes to diagnose complex problems and they would refuse the real cost.

You may consider this to be a small and inconsequential observation but it is a negative reflection on all gunsmiths when you make these comments.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, I know that. I was trying to craft a humorous image for bpost to chuckle at. Can't you imagine a gunsmith cracking the tiniest little smug grin while pointing such a thing out? I sure can. I'm quite sure he'd hide it, but it'd be there. Unless your gunsmith isn't as human as mine is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Look at the bright side: you learned it before you bought a different scope to replace the "defective" one. And you hadn't taken it to a $50/hour gunsmith who smugly pointed out your dumb mistake.

'Course, you DID admit your dumb mistake here... But at least the rest of us can smile in the secret knowledge that we've all done things equally as dumb. I know I have.

Good catch, bro.

Thanks Rocky,
    When things go wrong with my guns I am quick to blame the nut behind the trigger. That attitude has seldom let me down!!! [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use the phrase "the jerk on the trigger." That lets me blame bad groups on him, too!
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scope mounting lesson learned:
    I purchased a laserlyte bore sighter kit (Plastic case with several attachments, levelers, etc) from Midway reloading about 4 years ago on closeout for like $35, normally several dollars more. It was the red laser one and suspect it was on close-out due to being replaced with the green laser.

Could not believe how accurate scopes (guns) can be boresighted at approx 40 yards. I like to keep a scopes adjustemnts as close to centered as possible during final adjustemnts.

Using the laserlyte boresighter allows me to do such easily.
    Using the laser boresighter allows me to see scope mounting problems before having to test fire the gun. The laser is great for the side lock muzzleloaders and other centerfires that cannot be boresighted by looking through the barrel.
    It's also great for when doing a scope replacement or preparing a spare scope with new rings, etc. The laser pays for itself fast in saved sight in ammo shooting.
    To replace a existing scope, Just check the existing sighted in scope with the laser, remove the existing scope carefully so as to not bump the laser that is still in the end of the barrel, install the replacement scope, adjust repl scope reticles to same laser point as before and then test shoot. The shot will usually be within couple inchs or less at 100 yards and only requires fine tuning.
    The red laser dot is usually not visible on a sunny day beyond about 40 yards. I've heard rumors that the green laser can be easily seen to 100 yards on a sunny day. The red laserlyte laser can be seen to 100 yards on a overcast day with new batteries in the unit!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okie743, Thanks for the great idea! Our combined experience should hopefully make life easier for the younger shooters just getting started into shooting and gun work. They don't need to invent the wheel, they can just make it better and pass on the new knowledge to us older coots!!!!

I know I will put a laser bore sighter on the list of cool stuff to get. I will soon need a larger list of people to send my Christmas want-need list too.......[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About a thousand years ago, I wrote an article about bore sighters. Back then, the state of the art was the Bushnell unit that had a grid inside it, but the first high-intensity light units were just coming to the market. That was pre-laser.

Anyway, here it is http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Boresighters.htm

Maybe it might still contain a tip or two that's still useful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About a thousand years ago, I wrote an article about bore sighters. Back then, the state of the art was the Bushnell unit that had a grid inside it, but the first high-intensity light units were just coming to the market. That was pre-laser.

Anyway, here it is http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Boresighters.htm

Maybe it might still contain a tip or two that's still useful.

Rocky Raab:

I tried to go to both of those links on two different computers and when the page first opens I bridfly see the info then the page just turns green and the info evaporates, with just a green screen????
    You got nay ideas. One computer is a Windows XP and the other is new Windows 7, the computer have different anti-virus software.
    Can you view the info on your computer or do I need to register first or got any ideas why the info only briefly shows for about 2 seconds.????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are using Internet Exploder, that's why. Download Firefox or Chrome, either of which display my pages perfectly (and are faster, safer and MUCH more friendly than IE anyway.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are using Internet Exploder, that's why. Download Firefox or Chrome, either of which display my pages perfectly (and are faster, safer and MUCH more friendly than IE anyway.)

Rocky:
    google chrome worked!

Very good info!

Thanks and Later!
    NRA Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Super! Now you can read all the rest of my aimless ramblings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Okie743, Thanks for the great idea! Our combined experience should hopefully make life easier for the younger shooters just getting started into shooting and gun work. They don't need to invent the wheel, they can just make it better and pass on the new knowledge to us older coots!!!!

I know I will put a laser bore sighter on the list of cool stuff to get. I will soon need a larger list of people to send my Christmas want-need list too.......[:D]

I've found that:
    You only need to send a letter of contact to Santa Clause if you want to "get er dun"