In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 Carbine Loads

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I have a M1 Carbine coming. Very used but good bore. I'e been reloading over 20 years, been casting for about two, and would like to cast and shoot lead bullets. I've checke out some molds. What would be a good bullet weight and type. Theres' a 113 gr FN and a 120 RN both with gas checks. I'll get my relaoding manuals out for powder and primer choices.

I don't know if the carbine will function more reliably or be noticeably more accurate with one or the other. What's your advice?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to through cold water on your plan, but the 30 carbine only works with lead bullets for a short while. Even gas-checked lead bullets will shave some lead into the gas piston and the whole works becomes a single-shot. (unless you have the means to disassemble the gas system and clean it) Stick to jacketed bullets. 2-cents!
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured on ordering a gas wrench. There's an auction with a $10 start.

It that doesn't work out or is just a pain, I'll switch to jacketed bullets.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'd stick with jacked bullets. Even with the wrench you will never get to the gas port in the barrel. That is where it plugs up with lead.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Most people who say that lead clogs the gas port on a semi auto, M1 carbine included, fall into 1 of 2 categories.

1. They've never tried it and are propegating something they have only heard.
    2. They've tried it but used a soft alloy, poor lube, no gas check, drove the bullets to fast, shot undersized bullets, or something else that caused issues.

That said it is a little harder to work up a cast lead load in a semi auto than in a bolt gun, but certainly quite feasible.

If you use a good hard lead alloy with a good lube and a gas checked bullet driven at 2000fps or less, that properly fits the bore you won't have an issue.

I've fired about 10,000 cast rounds through my M1 carbine. It's not a problem.

Go to the cast boolit website, they have tons of info.

I use 11-12 gr of AA9 with the Lee 120gr GC design.
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Another thought is to use Rainier 110 gr copper coated bullets. I load mine with 10.8 gr of 2400 for an average vel. of 1665 fps. Just fast enough to cycle the gun consistently and is a fairly accurate load. No problems with leading at this speed.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    These are what I use == Hornady calls them 'short jacket' --Speer calls them 'plinker'-???.

Work well for me. They are reasonably priced, also

03a59568.jpg

3399a789.jpg

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I imagine Linotype metal would work pretty good.
    The gas piston threaded bushing is staked in and not meant to be removed
    unless necessary which is a rarity.
    Carbine owners should have the wrench anyway along with a bolt assembly tool.
    With the bushing and piston out, you can clean the port.