In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UMC ammo casing -- reloading

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
ok i am not even close to starting but i was told that any of the UMC remington UMC cases cannot be reloaded is this true? i have both Yellow box 115grn FMJ and green 115grn hollow points Green box

the reasoning i was told i cannot is something to do with the primer hole having tabs or something in them IDK for sure what he ment though

thanks

it is 9mm btw

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of no reason your UMC brass cannot be reloaded - unless for some odd reason it is Berdan primed. It is bone easy to check. Just look into a fired case and if there is one central flash hole, you are good to go. If there are two tiny holes, that's Berdan priming and the cases are best recycled to a metals dealer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok thanks. i will look tmrw when i go shoot my new toy and this ammo.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boxer primer have a single central hole for the primer flash to ignite the powder. The Boxer primers have the anvil as part of the primer. Boxer primed cases can be reloaded by normal methods.

Berdan primers have no anvil. The anvil is part of the case, the case has a protruding tit in the center of the primer pocket acting as an anvil, there are two or more small flash holes for powder ignition. These cases take special equipment to reload and are considered not-reloadable for all intents an purposes.

Look in the fired case, if it has ONE central hole, you can reload it. If it has two holes, off center, it is just scrap brass.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure he's talking about crimped primers and none of the domestic commercial handgun brass I've seen are crimped.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he may be referring to folded head cases.
    Folded head cases need chamber support all the way to the rim.
    In old Colt SAAs and some others this may not be the case.
    Hot loads in folded head brass have been known to blow out at the bases of such guns.
    Additionally, folded head cases don't have grooves machined below their rims making cases such as the 45 Long Colt hard to grip with a shellholder as there is very little rim.
    Case capacity of folded head cases is greater than solid head cases.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's clearly talking about 9mm Para brass, which has never come in balloon or folded head cases.

I think the "primer tabs" refer to a crimp, also. Crimped 9mm brass is a possibility if it is of military origin, but the yellow and green ammo packaging described almost certainly are commercial.

Bottom line: the brass described is perfectly reloadable.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep ammo brass good to go, green/yellow has 1 flash hole. time to buy lots and do some shooting :)