In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pistol "resizing" die

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Got a few older RCBS sets of pistol dies from an estate. None had an expander die (I assume he may have had some universal type)but each had a "resizing" die. Since the decapper die also sizes the brass, why would you need a resizing die? Tried to look this up on the net with no luck.

What simple thing am I missing here?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The necessary die steps are: sizing, depriming, expanding, bullet seating, and crimping.

In theory, you could use five dies; one for each step. But to save effort and expense, all die sets combine two steps into one die as much as possible. Dies for bottleneck cartridges can get away with two dies, while straight-sided cartridges need three. Let's keep this to handgun dies for now.

The first die sizes, and may also deprime.

The second die expands the case mouth and may also deprime (if the sizer doesn't)

The third die seat a bullet and crimps.

Whether the sizer die or the expander die does the depriming, depriming is its secondary function. The primary jobs are sizing for the one and expanding for the other.

Is that explanation simple enough? If not, I'll try again.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Rocky: Two simple, I understand what three dies do, and have loaded pistol for about 40+ years (but can always learn something here and from you). These die sets have the following 3 dies:
    1. Full size and decap. (marked as such)
    2. "Resizing" die (marked as such)with no method for a center expander or decap. It is not a "trim die", it states "resizing" and brass cannot go up thru the die.
    3. Bullet seat and crimp die. (marked as such)

These are all RCBS sets. I can buy that he took out the expanded die, but these "resizing" dies appear to have come with the set (although there is no room in the box for 4 dies).

I may have to add a picture to this post.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh, I see. I'd bet that the "resizing" die either sizes to a different diameter (as if for a second gun with larger/smaller chambers) or is some sort of neck sizer for handgun rounds. OR it is possibly a sizer/check gauge for loaded rounds much like the Lee FCD die or Wilson Case Gauges.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Rocky:

It isn't for a finished round because it is not long enough (and I tried one's that went thru my Lee final size die). I did take a piece of brass from a 45 Colt (LC), ran it thru the sizer and decap and it would not fit in the "resizing" die.

I'll try to get a picture. It is most likely something very simple, but I can find nothing on the RBS site.

Thanks for your input.
  • rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had some old rcbs dies like that , one die resized , one seated bullet and one decapped and flared at same time
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This sounds like a set of older Redding (if memory serves me correctly) dies I came across years ago. The size die was used first and needed lube, looked like a trim die (center was hollow). Second die was for decapping primer and also flared the case mouth. Third die was normal seat/crimp. This set was for 45 ACP. Sold the set, so I don't have any pics to post, darn it.

May not be the case here, just thought I would add this as something to consider.
    edited November -1
    Rusty:

You may be on to it. I will try that system (haven't really used these yet)and see if it decaps and flares.

Thanks for the input.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on what you've told us, I'd say this: If he has removed the expander die and the case is still full, then one of the dies was not original to the set. It is not logical to have 2 different sizing dies in a set. Perhaps he was using a dillon press which has the expander on the powder measure, eliminating the need for the expander die in the set. However, this still does not explain why he added another sizing die.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't reloaded 45LC for ages but I recall FL sizing followed by an expanding chamber having an expanding button on a threaded stem that didn't pass through.
    It only went into the case 1/2" or so and flared the case mouth about 1/16" deep to start a lead bullet.
    If the expanding button passed all the way through, the bullet would be loose in the case.
    A separate expanding die is necessary to start lead bullets unless your powder dispenser has an expanding feature like the Lee.
    edited November -1
    76K20 - Bazinga!!

You are correct. I tried them and the 1st is to resize only, 2nd is to remove primed AND flare, 3rd is to seat. The decap die stated only the round size (my error that it said decap).

Guess I'm to young to remember these.

Thanks to all, I never would have looked at the decap die without the input from you guys.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    76K20 - Bazinga!!

You are correct. I tried them and the 1st is to resize only, 2nd is to remove primed AND flare, 3rd is to seat. The decap die stated only the round size (my error that it said decap).

Guess I'm to young to remember these.

Thanks to all, I never would have looked at the decap die without the input from you guys.

Glad to have helped out. Have fun reloading!