In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.404 Jeffery to RUM

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
Changing .404 Jeffery brass to a .338 RUM ought to be a straight forward two-step process right?

Down to a .375 RUM first and then second step on down to the .338 RUM, correct?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alan Rushing,

If this is just a 'for fun' project have at it but it is not just a couple of simple neck downs.

If you need RUM brass and can't locate some, call Huntington's, they have it in stock but it's not cheap any more.

Remington's ultra magnum cases were made wider than the .404 Jeffery case by .006" overall thickness. The brass was made thicker so as to withstand the higher pressure of the new cartridge as the Jeffery cartridge had a maximum average pressure rating of 52,900 psi.

Yes, you can reduce the neck diameters to form some new cases but you will likely have to ream the inside of the neck as well as do some judicious neck turning to get rid of the thickening that will occur there by the process. I would cast the chamber first in order to see where the case requires work. Be sure to turn the rims also.

Fireforming will be next step but be aware that the .404 Jeffery cases are not as stout as the RUM cases. Use your common sense when working up loads.

Best.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense -

I had noted some variances with the dimensions and was attempting to ascertain how significant. That was and is not the direction that I "need" to go. I had found three "ready" options ... that one having been the furthest out there, and now justifiably "out".

Have used Norma brass a good bit in the past for other chamberings with a lot of satisfaction. They do not of course make the .338 RUM.
    I was attempting to get the brass for that chambering from Norma, that is what I had hoped, but they of course do not produce brass for the RUMs. So being ignorant as I am of the all the implications, that was the way I was checking into going for this project.

I've been happy with the Nosler brass every time that I have used it. I can get a quantity of their .300 RUM easily enough and work that up to what I need no doubt.

The other option that I know I have is to get Remington brass for any of the RUMs ... including the .338 and go directly ( or indirectly ) from there. I had not been finding .338 from Rem. but just located some.

I was definitely not attempting to save $$$ nor to diminish the capabilities of that chambering at all. And I have no personal need to reinvent the wheel in a form other than round!

You saved me the unnecessary expenditure of a whole lot of time and energy onto a trip in the wrong direction.

We'd loaded-up a selection of bullets and a strong ladder for the .375 RUM. I have components gathered for doing likewise with the .338 RUM now.

( I am motivated to get a good supply of .338 RUM brass squirreled away now. )

Thank you sir.
    Best