In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got a PACT digital dispenser and scale

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
They had these on back order for a few months due to a change in parts suppliers, but it finally arrived, and I did some loading yesterday.

Observations:
-Time to dispense a charge in the 50 grain range with extruded powder was about 15-20 seconds.
-Accuracy after calibration was within .1 grains, and always under. For instance, if I asked for 50, I always got 49.9 or 50, perfectly acceptable variation for extruded stick powders, which is what I was using. If I want the extra .1, I can bump the dispense button for a second to trickle it up.
-The dispenser loses calibration if you add more powder to the hopper too quickly. It has to be done gradually or it messes something up.

Overall- ease of use? A. Value (compared to RCBS or Lyman): A. We'll see about reliability.

Comments

• Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the hornady one and love it. The only gripe I have is occasionally it will throw a charge over and beep a warning. According to the owners manual, you can dump the powder back in the hopper, hit clear, and it will throw again. This does not work. It locks up and NONE of the buttons will work when it happens. Not even the power button. It has to be unplugged to be reset and reprogrammed with the target charge. A pia for sure. I returned one and got another. The new one has the same problem.

Rocky: You are correct. I went back and did it again. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I was definitely wrong. I did what you said and it worked exactly as it should. I guess I should pay closer attention to the owners manual next time. I'm sorry I'm such an idiot[B)] But THANK YOU!!!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midnight, on the rare occasion when my own Hornady drops an "OVER" it resumes normal operation when I hit "CANCEL" and then "DISPENSE" again. Cancel alone doesn't do it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allow me to plead "Senior Moment." I just ran a test on mine, and I was wrong. You don't hit "CANCEL" at all.

To correct an "Over" reading, simply empty the pan and hit "ENTER." When you replace the pan, it should reset and go back to normal auto-dispense mode. Mine does.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a PACT scale some time ago, added the dispenser later.
    It works fine for me.
    A friend got one and it never suited him but then he accepts NO variation in charge weight; a tenth of a grain off is a bad load to him. He returned it and got the more expensive RCBS and only has to redo a charge occasionally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Midnight, read the instructions again. They do NOT say to hit "Cancel". The sheet clearly says:

"Press ENTER to remove the "OVER" warning."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm at a loss how to say this politely. I WANT it to be polite, but text doesn't allow my voice to come through.

I can't tell from your posts if you do know what the manual says. Your posts refer to pressing a "clear" button - which doesn't exist. Even if you mean the "CANCEL" button, that isn't what you are supposed to do. When you get an OVER warning, empty the pan and just hit ENTER. Nothing else.

Sorry for derailing the thread, folks. I'm just trying to help out a guy with a machine like mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are most welcome, my friend. Glad I could help out.

Don't be too embarrassed. I've misread and mis-remembered a thing or two myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    They had these on back order for a few months due to a change in parts suppliers, but it finally arrived, and I did some loading yesterday.

Observations:
    -Time to dispense a charge in the 50 grain range with extruded powder was about 15-20 seconds.
    -Accuracy after calibration was within .1 grains, and always under. For instance, if I asked for 50, I always got 49.9 or 50, perfectly acceptable variation for extruded stick powders, which is what I was using. If I want the extra .1, I can bump the dispense button for a second to trickle it up.
    -The dispenser loses calibration if you add more powder to the hopper too quickly. It has to be done gradually or it messes something up.

Overall- ease of use? A. Value (compared to RCBS or Lyman): A. We'll see about reliability.

I have been using the PACT combo for years. It works very well and remains consistent at every loading.
  • Options
    j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i too have been using the faster pact and like it,although i also have an rcbs scale dispenser as a back-up,,,still NIB,,,[:D][:D][:D]