In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

powder scoops?

I notice that the lee die sets come with these. Do they scoop out the correct ammount of powder for the cartridge?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They are close enough for mild loads. Your technique scooping powder can change the number of grains some.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They provide loading for that scoop and also data for other scoops. + you should have a good scale to check their data as well a good reloading book. The whole kit is nice but I usually make my own for each load out of old cartridges and brazing rod. And technique is everything, some people cannot seem to do repetive tasks consistantly.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also get a set for not too much money that has multiple scoops and different volumes along with a guide for the approximate grain by powder for each scoop.

I've been using an old 22LR casing with a rod brazed to it to load target 38 SPL loads.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you follow the powder recommendations that come with the die set, you will almost always be safe.

As mentioned, technique can be important or even critical. Here's how I use Lee scoops:

Half fill a small glass (a whiskey glass you "borrowed" from a bar is perfect!) with the correct powder. Dip the BACK of the scoop into the powder until the scoop is fully submerged. Do NOT pull the scoop through the powder open end first. Lift the scoop out. At this point, you can either scrape the powder level with something like a credit card, OR allow the powder to create a mound on its own. The latter allows you to get a little bit extra if the charge proves to be a bit light when checked on a scale. Some powders will mound up a lot more consistently than others. Flake powders are the worst, then extruded, and best of all are sphericals.

Do test yourself with a scale. Scoop and measure ten charges to see how good you and the scoops really are.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    If you are going to reload do not take any short cuts. To obtain accuracy you have to be consistent. Scoops do not seem to be consistent to me. I weight each and every load on a digital scale. I also completely load one round at a time. Never have double charges that way.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scoops are a starting point...if you are using scoops ya need a scale and a powder drizzler...to get consistent wieghts
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    scoops are a starting point...if you are using scoops ya need a scale and a powder drizzler...to get consistent wieghts

Yes, a good starting point. I use the set of Lee scoops and a powder scale for working up loads. Here's how: pick a scoop that is supposed to throw the charge you want or a little less. Set your scale to the weight you want to use. Dump a charge from the scoop into the scale pan. Then trickle in a bit more or shake out a bit less till the beam swings evenly above and below zero. Continue with other charges in regular increments for a series of test loads.

This process is pretty slow, but after you've loaded up and fired your test rounds, you can either load directly from a scoop with which you can throw reasonably consistent below-max charges (for use where extreme accuracy is not critical) or (for highest loading rate) set a regular powder measure to throw the charge your tests showed to be best.

Or, for greatest precision, follow reloader44mag's recommendation and use a powder drizzler and scale.