In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Seating Gas Checks

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do you seat gas checks? I think back in the 70's Herters made a tool for it.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do mine by hand. Lyman has thing that fits in the sizer press. Saeco has a lever you flip back and forth on the press.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's almost impossible (for me at least) to seat gas checks by hand and get any kind of uniformity. The simplest, fastest and cheapest way is to get a Lee push-through sizer die. Your checks will be straight, crimped perfectly and ready for a very light coat of tumble lube.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dump a hand full out on a 12X12 flat granite plate. Then I push each bullet onto the gas check making sure it is square to the base. After my fingers get tired of pushing on gas-checks I move to sizing and lubing. Gas checked bullets get stacked into cigar boxes reinforced with aluminum tape. the layers are separated with old targets maximizing storage space and keeping the bases lube free.

It works for me.
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read up on that Lee die and that looks good. I didn't even know it was out there. Beats having to buy a seperate sizer and dies and punches. Thanks.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Order one of their smallest little bench presses while you're at it. You can bolt that to a scrap of 2x6 and C-clamp it to your bench when you need it. I bought one just to size cast bullets, but am amazed how often I use it to pull bullets, deprime, neck size or do several other low-effort tasks.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I usually just hand press them on, even if not snug, then run through my RCBS lube sizer. But the Lee system works great and I use it on a lot of bullets too.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have placed them at the base of the bullet in the sizing die and sized normally on a Lyman 450. I have no idea what a gas check seater is, as I have never used one in 30 years. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas checks are started by hand.
    In my old lubricator/sizer, the bullet is clamped between nose punch and ejector punch when adjusted properly, seating the gas checks.
    The the lube wrench is then given a partial turn to force lube into the grooves.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    I always have placed them at the base of the bullet in the sizing die and sized normally on a Lyman 450. I have no idea what a gas check seater is, as I have never used one in 30 years. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I've always done it exactly like this, Never had a problem, 357mag to 450 marlin