In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 colt.....

Anybody here loading hot loads for 45 colt similar to buffalo bore velocity's......... Ive got a good plinking load at 8 grains of unique behind a 255 SWC Oregon trail cast bullet.

Was looking to load some "business" loads for packing in the hills.

I am shooting a Ruger new model blackhawk....... I started researching this a little and it looked to me like the hot 45 colt loads were very similar to 44 mag loads but at about half the pressure....... is that right.... 44 mag being 44000ish and 45 colt being 25000ish, with not alot of difference in the velocity's?

edit... Also is my Oregon trail 255 swc hard enough lead to load to these velocitys or do I need to look into a jacketed bullet.......Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I can't say much about hot loads for the 45 Colt. I have a Vaquero early model with the Birdshead grip, it's not condusive to hot loads.
    I shoot pretty warm loads in my 41 & 44 mags using Oregon Trail bullets, with great results. I've been shooting them for years, always gotten good service from the product and from the folks at the plant.
    W.D.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    I read that Elmer Keith was loading 18.5 grains of 2400 then bumped it to 20 grains of 2400 when the black hawk came out.... has anyone here loaded these................ Maybe everybody just buys a 44 now days[:I]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a S&W 25-5 and 18.5 of 2400 was the top of the load I'd ever push. Very thin in the bolt notch!
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have a loading manual or other info for higher power .45 colt loads, do a internet search for ".45 colt loads."
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Keith 2400 loads in a 5 1/2" 2nd gen SAA but didn't own a chronograph then.
    These loads hammer the SAA Colt cylinder bushing, developing cyl end play that's restored with a new bushing. They also loosen up all the screws.
    I've heard of bulging S&W 25 cylinders so I wouldn't use hot loads.
    There are hot loads for Ruger and Thompson Center guns only in reloading manuals.
    First, load a few Oregon trail bullets and check for excess leading.
    Speer's manual shows between 18 to 20 gr max 2400 for 1158-1145 fps for Rugers.
    In my experience, Unique is pretty dirty at low pressures but gets better at max pressure in magnums and 9mm.
    Two experimenters in the 1970's found using 200 gr bullets in 45LC, 9gr Herco gave best & consistent accuracy.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I beg to ask the question. What are you shooting with proper bullet placement that is running away with NORMAL 45 Colt loads. . Do you also run your car at over red line every time you drive it [?]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for being first, perry shooter. I held off, hoping there'd be at least one other person with a like opinion.

Let me state this flatly: the standard .45 Colt load of a 255 cast bullet at 900 fps or so is all the power you need. It will shoot through a deer lengthwise (I've done it) and through even a largish elk sideways. Heck, it will shoot through most TREES.

The most powerful load I use is the one developed by Hank Williams Jr: A 255-gr cast SWC over 21.0 4227, using a CCI 350 primer and a firm crimp. It is very accurate, and gives 1,000 fps on the nose from my Blackhawk.

It is assuredly what I call "modanuff."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I beg to ask the question. What are you shooting with proper bullet placement that is running away with NORMAL 45 Colt loads. . Do you also run your car at over red line every time you drive it [?]

Sheez, speer has loads for blackhawk and contender, as does lyman 49th, I was just wondering if anybody has loaded these hotter loads for the 45. No I do not intend to shoot these "redline" loads everytime I shoot the gun as I said my normal load is 8 grains unique. Was just interested if anybody had loaded hotter loads and what there opinion was on them.

Thank you Rocky and v35[:)]
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I am shooting a Ruger new model blackhawk....... I started researching this a little and it looked to me like the hot 45 colt loads were very similar to 44 mag loads but at about half the pressure....... is that right.... 44 mag being 44000ish and 45 colt being 25000ish, with not alot of difference in the velocity's?"

IdahoRedneck,

I don't load for the 45 Colt, but if I remember the data from the Hornady manual on the 'hotter' loads they used a Contender barrel (longer) for velocity testing. The standard loads and the 44 mag data was developed in a revolver. This could account for the velocities being close between the 44's and hot 45's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20
    "I am shooting a Ruger new model blackhawk....... I started researching this a little and it looked to me like the hot 45 colt loads were very similar to 44 mag loads but at about half the pressure....... is that right.... 44 mag being 44000ish and 45 colt being 25000ish, with not alot of difference in the velocity's?"

IdahoRedneck,

I don't load for the 45 Colt, but if I remember the data from the Hornady manual on the 'hotter' loads they used a Contender barrel (longer) for velocity testing. The standard loads and the 44 mag data was developed in a revolver. This could account for the velocities being close between the 44's and hot 45's.

that makes perfect sense.........I loaded 17.4 if 2400 and the velocitys were between 951 on the low end and 1020 on the high through my 4 5/8 barrel........I was concerned about recoil and barrel jump but felt that it was,nt near as bad as I thought it would be.........I did notice when I was done that the cases fell out of the cylinders fine but there appeard to be some unburned powder, not alot just a little would a magnum primer fix this......or is this the nature of 2400 powder? thanks in advance............

Im with rocky If I can get a good 1000+ fps load id be happy just for a packin load for self defense.... I have a pound of 2400 but have never used 4227 (not against buying some, but dont have any other guns i load for that require 2400) any more input would be appreciated...

The 1300 fps Id read about on Buffalo bores 45 colt +P ammo, didnt even think they might have been shot through a contender (longer) barrel[:I].... thanks again in advance.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2400 is fine. It will leave a few unburned or partly burned kernels in loads where it doesn't reach it's optimum pressure of about 30,000 psi. The 45 Colt is always below that pressure, so 2400 will always burn "dirty" in it. Don't use magnum primers with 2400. Alliant recommends against it because that combination produces a very short but very high pressure peak way above that of the average pressure. That adds nothing to bullet speed, but does stress the gun. Standard primers only with 2400.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    2400 is fine. It will leave a few unburned or partly burned kernels in loads where it doesn't reach it's optimum pressure of about 30,000 psi. The 45 Colt is always below that pressure, so 2400 will always burn "dirty" in it. Don't use magnum primers with 2400. Alliant recommends against it because that combination produces a very short but very high pressure peak way above that of the average pressure. That adds nothing to bullet speed, but does stress the gun. Standard primers only with 2400.

10-4 thanks again[:)]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Field and defense shooting loads should be different from target or paper punching loads for obvious reasons.
    In the '60's when I loaded and hunted with a 44 blackhawk and 45LC-5 1/2
    I loaded the Blackhawk down to 19.5 gr 2400 behind a Keith 235 Gr HP because it shot better than max loads. The 45LC was loaded with Speer recommended load of 9 gr Unique (900fps)equal to the BP load. I also tried Keith loads that shot flatter, having missed a deer at about 50 yds with the 45. At the time maximum power was sought after in both pistol and rifle. New cartridge development was taking off.
    Note that Keith also published light target loads in his references.
    As you were looking for a packing in the hills load against anything you might meet, I'd say try the heavy published loads and work your way down if they're too uncomfortable to shoot. Your Ruger is a magnum frame, not an SAA Colt so don't worry about using stronger published loads. Get some experience in bullet drop at different ranges. If Keith said 2400 heavy loads in the 45LC is the effective load, it's good enough for me.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Use only in a Ruger Blackhawk. 24 grains of H4227 with 250 grain jacketed Hornady XTP. 1200 fps. 250 hard cast SWC work great too.