In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder dispensers and scales

crappiefishcrappiefish Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Any preferences between the rcbs unit and the hornady lock and load unit or other suggestions. I'm fixing my christmas wish list for my wife.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 scales: Ohaus, RCBS, Herters, & Hornady: I use the RCBS 505. I have 3 measures: Herters, RCBS, and Hornady. I use the RCBS.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I wish that I got my Lyman 1200DPS long ago. Sure makes loading faster and more accurate.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the original RCBS digital, which was made by PACT. When it finally died, I got the new Hornady unit. Never used a Lyman, so I can't comment on them. But either the current RCBS or the Hornady will give you complete satisfaction. Avoid the Smart Reloader unit, though.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    crappiefishcrappiefish Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks guys. In my research I think they all have some flaws and a certain lifespan but it should be better than a manual throw and tricker on a balance type scale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, digitals aren't any more accurate than other methods - but they aren't any less accurate, either. Both types are certainly accurate enough. Where digitals shine is in the fact that they work hands off; you can be seating a bullet in the previously charged case while it runs. They also display the charge weight for every load and they'll tell you if the charge is even a tiny bit "over."
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have two powder dispensers- the RCBS Uniflow and the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The RCBS unit shines with ball and flake powders, but chops and grinds and halts with stick types. The LEE unit is great with chopped stick types, but leaks ball and fine flakes like a sieve. But for the price of the Lee it's worth having even if it feels chinsy, it drops +/- .1 with the stick stuff so it's well worth it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It reads as though he's interested in an electronic one, jonk.

I view the current electronic units much like the earliest home computers. The Radio Shack TRS-80 and the Commodore 64 weren't that much better than an IBM Selectric typewriter in 1980 - but they sure caught on.

Digital powder dispensers are "new school" today, but I predict that they'll also catch on.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I finally broke down and bought the RCBS unit about a year ago. After 35 years of beam and trickler measuring. All I can say is I can't believe I waited that long. It's a whole new world. Can't say enough good about how well it has worked, at least for the first year
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    It reads as though he's interested in an electronic one, jonk.

I view the current electronic units much like the earliest home computers. The Radio Shack TRS-80 and the Commodore 64 weren't that much better than an IBM Selectric typewriter in 1980 - but they sure caught on.

Digital powder dispensers are "new school" today, but I predict that they'll also catch on.
    In that case I just got the PACT dispenser combo, but haven't used it enough to say more than that so far I like it.

Both RCBS and Hornady should be fine. In fact I think there was a thread on here about a similar topic not long ago.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS Chargemaster and it rocks. Very good customer support and the thing is accurate and very reliable. I like that it comes with check weights. It's not cheap, but RCBS is offering a $50 rebate which is nice.