In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading book ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
I am starting to reload again after 23 years and i was wondering of the best book to brush up on? Thanks David

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 49th. Edition Reloading Handbook, hard or soft cover [;)]
    Get either one on the auction side [^]
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it have info on .327? I recently bought one and ammo is costly. Thanks for the info. David
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does not have load data for the .327 Ruger.
    Alliant and Hodgdon has some data online

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=115&shellid=167&bulletid=25

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

but not with Unique.
    R. Buckminster Fuller said "Simplify as much as possible, BUT NO MORE." A can of well chosen powder will last you a long time in .327 and maybe other calibers of yours. Check it out.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    David, I have the Lyman book,Speer,hornady
    Sierra.
    They all don't agree on max loads
    (which I never use anyway) but the most
    recent info is on each of their websites
    and even then I start way low working
    up a load.
    Good shooting my friend![:)]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2012 Hodgdon Annual Manual is about to come out. I don't have a copy yet, but have one on the way. I'd bet it has more 327 data than is online, and I'll report when it comes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman fan for "Fail Safe" but still cross check with others. Some books run on the High side, some run low. Out of that, 99.9% of the time you can find a happy Medium and work the load for your gun.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need at least two manuals. Lyman and one from your favorite bullet or powder company.
  • Options
    bsthedeerhunterbsthedeerhunter Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use SPEER, Hornady, and any data from the www. Check, check, and then recheck your numbers....COL, powder #'s and loads, and Enjoy. BS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As some of us say every single time this thread topic comes up (which is about weekly, it seems)...

Use the bullet maker's data as your primary source of load data because of the major influence bullet design has on pressures.

Check your powder maker's data for confirmation in case of an error in the bullet maker's data.

In case of a large discrepancy between the first two, use the Lyman book as arbiter. Lyman does actual lab testing, unlike others (Lee being one) who merely reprint data and do no testing at all.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky, are you saying that Barnes, Nosler, Alliant, etc do not do actual testing on the products that they sell? If they don't who does it, Lyman?? Thanks.

Todd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, I am not saying that. I said that SOME others (such as Lee) don't do testing. They only reprint previously published data. Some does not mean all. Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Alliant, Hodgdon, Western, IMR, Lyman and perhaps others all run their own ballistic labs.