In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smart Reloader Questions

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
An older friend of mine decided he wants to start reloading. He bought the Smart Reloader Omega 800 Kit. I'm going to go over in a day or two to walk him through the steps.

Does any one know what shell holder these presses take for the ram and for the hand priming tool? He talked like they were not included.

I'd like to take some of my supplies over to his house to make sure he can load. I have no idea what parts are compatible on the Smart Reloader brand.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The press should take standard shell holders. It looks like a "O" frame. Ask him what model priming tool came with it. The picture Natrchez has looks like RCBS.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    google lead to natchez shooters supplies. Looks like RCBS stuff will work. Doesn't appear to include dies either. He might need a good reloading book, a block.

Sorry to hear about your friend, my dad passed from liver cancer.
    Thanks for update on the not so smart reloading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    The press should take standard shell holders. It looks like a "O" frame. Ask him what model priming tool came with it. The picture Natrchez has looks like RCBS.

SR916 is the priming tool

I looked on Smart Reloader.com & they don't have a single word about what shell holders the ram and primer tool takes.

Thanks guys.[^]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish your friend much luck and hope he doesn't become frustrated and disgusted with reloading because of the tools. Smart Reloader tools are several levels below what most of us would call decent - or even acceptable. They are cheap, in both senses of that word.

Tell him to keep the shipping boxes - he'll likely be sending it all back.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I wish your friend much luck and hope he doesn't become frustrated and disgusted with reloading because of the tools. Smart Reloader tools are several levels below what most of us would call decent - or even acceptable. They are cheap, in both senses of that word.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. He bought it at a sporting goods store. He may not like it once I get it set up for him.

He's got stage 4 liver cancer so likely he won't be using it much[V]
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. He bought it at a sporting goods store. He may not like it once I get it set up for him.

He's got stage 4 liver cancer so likely he won't be using it much[V]

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about his cancer. I wish him the best.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Man did you nail it on the head!!!!

Frustrated and disgusted both!

I have never layed hand nor eyes on this stuff(Smart Reloader) ,but now can declare that it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever used.[:(!]

The ram on the press when raised has so much slop the decap pin won't line up with the shell holder's hole all the time.

The linkage on the ram moved back and forth about 1 1/2" with the handle.(left to right)

He bought the kit. The hand primer is sloppy cast aluminum that feels like a wood rasp across your teeth.

The tumbler he got with it was alright. Only used it for about and hour. I told him wonder how long it would last.

I told him to put everything back in boxes and take it back.

Local reloading supply guy had a used Rock Chucker he gave him the try out. If he likes he's going to give him a deal on it.

He's already down in the dumps cause his health. You should have saw him when I left his place tonight, really disgusted. I told him that reloading was like a crack addiction. You save money, but you shoot 2-3 x's more.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are times when I genuinely hate being right. This is one of them.

Give your friend my best wishes and congratulate him on a lesson learned cheaply.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Get Lee. It's almost as cheap but while their fit and finish might not be perfect, at least Lee stuff generally works.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk is right ! Now that that Smartreloader stuff is on the market , Lee is now a step up from something .
  • Options
    mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Lee outfit. I load from .222 to 30-06. I have the turret press, but disabled it so it just operates as a single stage. My only wish was that I would have bought a single stage to learn on. Sorry for your friends health problem. Mike
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambambam -

I'd suggest going with him to get any and all gear needed around there and by ordering online also.

Having some knowledge and experience as you do can and will save him a tremendous amout of aggravation, frustration and concentration. It'd be very simple to help him along and get him rolling in the best direction. If you save him an hour or two it'd be like saving any of us seveal days or a week. He has no doubt got a lot of things weighing on his body, heart, mind and soul.

Any and all that you can do to expedite is at least as good as gold.

Best to him and you, take care. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

bambambam -

I'd suggest going with him to get any and all gear needed around there and by ordering online also.

Having some knowledge and experience as you do can and will save him a tremendous amout of aggravation, frustration and concentration. It'd be very simple to help him along and get him rolling in the best direction. If you save him an hour or two it'd be like saving any of us seveal days or a week. He has no doubt got a lot of things weighing on his body, heart, mind and soul.

Any and all that you can do to expedite is at least as good as gold.

Best to him and you, take care. [;)]

I've been helping him with a lot of stuff at his place.

Most of his previous friends don't come around anymore just for the fact that his attitude has went south. He was a very religious person, but now he say's he mad at Him because he has cancer and his wife left with her kids and he's alone & in a bad way most of the time.

He told me most of his friends don't know what to say to him & avoid him. I just treat him like any other human being.

He has a hold on his reloading because of money. I've helped him order another trigger for his Savage Axis. The trigger on it is as hard as any I have ever touched, and non-adjustable.

At this time he saves his money & has started painting.
  • Options
    bsthedeerhunterbsthedeerhunter Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS all the way-presses, dies,505 scale, But a Lee hand primer...BS