In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee powder measure?

I was looking at this kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

It seems to be the best value for me to get started. I know there are few items I will still need to pick up, but for what I get it seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I was looking at the instructions for the powder measure.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AP1704.pdf

My question is, do I have to use the powder charging die?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Then it just dumps the powder when I pull the handle?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    There's a thing called the Lee safety Powder Disk or something like that. I bought it back when I didn't know too much about quality and consistency.
    It uses springs and little blocks inside itself that have holes drilled in them that fill with powder when you use it. I've never been able to get it to throw the same charge (within a grain) and it has fallen into disuse.
    If there's a block that has a hole drilled in it on your measure; take it back. Even the powder dippers are more accurate (just don't believe the assigned weight of the alleged charge given).
    I currently use an RCBS powder measure for single reloads, and the measure on my Dillon 550B does everything else.
    FREE TIP: if the body of your measure is plastic; you can wrap a Bounce sheet around it to stop clumps and static. Very handy in Winter times.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ok, to give a bit longer reply- the dispenser with the kit is the Lee Perfect Powder Dispenser. It is a rotary drum type with an adjustable charge bar, and does VERY well with stick powders. It leaks ball and flake a bit but does ok. You just align the case under the tapered nozzle at the bottom and rotate the drum to dispense powder. FWIW, don't use their cc dispensing guide (you'll see when you buy it) but check charges with a scale. Also- their scale is junk. Buy a cheap Frankfort digital when you get the kit for $25, or go whole hog and get a decent scale.

The dispenser gunnut references is the Lee auto-disc. Personally I find it is very good, to .1 grains, but YMMV. Different dispenser entirely- that one DOES need a powder through die, and is mainly used on progressive presses.

I use an RCBS Uniflow for ball/flake and the Lee for stick powders.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at part #121744, it's only $10 more and comes with the new hand primer, and shell holder set.
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the same kit I got, and I love it. I've loaded over 1000 loads now and finally have things "dialed in" the way I like it.

I did purchase the newer (square) Lee Auto Primer as well as a digital scale though. The round auto primer was harder to dump primers into. The square one is a no-brainer. It's the same size as the primer boxes, so it dumps in perfectly. The digital scale I got separately is awesome, you can get a variety of these for a very low cost on GB or Ebay as I did.

As for the powder dumping out of the powder measure, I came up with a simple solution. I dump the powder into a shot glass, then into the top of the sizing/powder die with the funnel that already comes in the kit you're looking at. Others may do things another way, but this way works for me.

Whatever you do, take your time. Read this GB link as well, it's very helpful!

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498276
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Look at part #121744, it's only $10 more and comes with the new hand primer, and shell holder set.

+1
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Jonk says, it leaks with some powders like W231. However, IMR 4064 doesn't leak at all.

I always get exact charges with W231 using it. I ahven't checked with 4064 as since I'm reloading for my bolt, always throw a light charge and then build up to full charge with a powder trickler on the scale.

In short, it works.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing about the Lee set is the price allows you to really load ammo without going into hock first. With the Lee set ups I have (Both the Challenger press (I have 2 mounted), and the "C" press (1), and two of the 1000 Progressives in .357 and.44) I check the load every 10 or so on a digital scale. This goes for the hand-cranked Lee powder measure, as well as the auto-disk ones as well. They're fairly accurate and consistent, but I still check to make sure.

I've loaded stick, flake and ball powders with the hand-cranked one, and yes, the stick powders seem to meter and pour easier than the others. My solution to keep stuff consistent is to tap the measure 3x when I turn the handle to fill the measure, and again 3x when I turn it to fill the case. I do it every time when the charge weight is being set as well as for every case that's loaded. It takes an additional second or two, but IMO it seems to keep the flake (Unique, for example) from sticking and keeps the powder flowing into the measure.

I also NEVER load max or near max on these without weighing EVERY charge on the digital. My guns, hands, and eyesight are more valuable to me than saving a bit of time.