In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help me design a heeled bullet mould

1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
I have an antique Alex Henry rook rifle and after a lot of investigation, it looks like I really need to have a custom mould made to get any accuracy.

When I bought the gun, the seller said that he thought it was chambered in .300 Rook, which takes a true .300" bullet. A 300 Rook case fits in the chamber perfectly, but a .300" bullet will fall right down the barrel and gives terrible accuracy. (It flings them anywhere but at the target.)

Based on all my measurements,I need to have a cast bullet at .308" or .309" with a heel that will fit into a case that comes out of the sizer at .290" inside diameter. It should work right, as the brass is .009" thick, so the outside diameter of the sized case is right at .308".

So -- with an inside case diameter of .290", what diameter should the bullet be across the heeled part that goes into the case? What will give me good neck tension?

By the way, I think that I want a bullet around 90 grains (probably one lube groove) and will be looking for around 1200 - 1400 fps velocity. (That is in the ballpark for most of the old rook rounds.)

I am totally new to this type of "custom" reloading, so any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Comments