In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

F class world championship. You going?

Held in Raton, New Mexico in Aug 2013.
Thinking about a possible road trip- money/time allowing.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CbtEngr01,

To participate or observe?

I should be there to compete if everything hangs together for 2013. My work load is running heavy so I will really have to stay on top of it so I can get away. I will have my rifle ready in a few weeks so I can get enough practice in before the shoot.

Best.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    just watching for now. My rifle needs some tuning before I even stand a chance against competers like that.
    Out to 600 yards I can keep it .5-.75 moa. At 1000 its about 2moa. I think my 308 just has a hard time bucking the conditions at that range. That and I think my barrel is about too eroded.
    Always had best luck with Amax then accuracy started falling off. Switched to SMK and got back to where I was. Longer ogive Id say was the factor in that.
    It probably has 4k+ rounds through it. Im surprised it still shoots as well as it does.
    Any barrel reccomendations?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am pretty casual about it and get by with a Pac-Nor .308.
    My Krieger .223 is more accurate but it is not a 1000 yard gun.

A friend who is very serious about it has a new rifle with Bartlein barrel. I think that is what he had put on his old rifle as replacement for his Pac-Nor, too.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CbtEngr01,

F/TR is limited to the .308 Win. and the .223 Rem. but F-Open is basically unlimited as to the cartridges used. We shoot everything from 6BRX to some of the larger .300 Magnum cases. The only limiter I see at Raton is the wind which will require a fairly fast cartridge/bullet combination to overcome.

I have new barrels and new brass ready to go for testing about 6 wildcat cartridges, a couple of which are fairly aggressive... but I can cheat the wind quite a bit with an increase in velocity. If I use up a barrel in one season, so be it.

If you need a new barrel, the easiest decision is to get a Bartlein 5R stainless steel in your choice of caliber. Have a skilled gunsmith thread, chamber and crown it then go practice.

You can also consider:

Rock Creek
    Krieger
    Schneider

The rest are 'also ran' but you can get a good barrel from some of them sometimes. A lot can depend on the skill of the gunsmith doing the installation and chamber.

Best.