Perplexing problem ?????,,EDIT,,,,2nd EDIT

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭
Out shooting with a friend this AM. He's shooting an 03-A3 with a good scope,,,,,the rifle is a tack driver and MOA has never been a problem until today.

At two hundred yds it was all over the place,,,,,100 yds not much better. All rings/bases have been spec-torque/Loctite and ammo was reloaded as usual,,,,,no changes whatsoever. The only variable we can think of was the cases have been reloaded 4/5 times. Or maybe the scope internals have 'swarmed',,,,,,,

Your expertise, hunches, SWAG welcomed !!!![;)]

2nd Edit ,,,,,trip to the range and a 200yd. target off sandbags with a 20-30mph wind. The re-crown did the trick. Will have to wait for a calm day to make final scope adjustments. The owner can't really complain with a 1935 military rifle with a 1937 barrel,,,[;)]

005-1.jpg

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try a different scope [;)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Action screws first then a different scope.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with bpost. However it could be a bad box of projectiles, perhaps the press devoloped some play, shell holder or ram gunked up not letting the cases be incerted all the way. Check seating die for build up.

No new meds for the shooter, and eyes still good. My catract played with me until I got it fixed.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,815
    edited November -1
    Crown ding? IOW it will be something that developed between the last and this shooting session.
    Try a few rounds of :barf: factory ammo, see if it's still doing the same thing
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Crown ding? IOW it will be something that developed between the last and this shooting session.
    Try a few rounds of :barf: factory ammo, see if it's still doing the same thing

EDIT
    Dang, Tailgunner you beat me to it,,,,,was just giving the rifle a good cleaning/inspection. I ran a fairly tight cotton swab from the breech end on a final pass and noticed a minute 'fiber' at the muzzle end. Took a magnifying glass and there is a 'tiny' and I mean tiny nick at 3 0'clock. I'm thinking a re-crowning and things will improve. I'll refrain from anything else to eliminate other variables. [;)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice group for wind at 200 yards.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No O3-A3's were made in 1935 (or 1937). Remington started production of O3-A3's in 1942. Just sayin'.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amazing how that tiny nick with 15,000 psi behind it upsets bullet flight so much.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    No O3-A3's were made in 1935 (or 1937). Remington started production of O3-A3's in 1942. Just sayin'.

I stand corrected,,,,,should have left off the A3. Thanks for the correction !![;)]
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, probably shouldn't be nit-picking. I guess those old 1903 and 1903-A3's are my favorites. I have several of them; all have been sporterized. Back around 1960 or so, every gun shop (and there were a LOT more shops then) had 98 Mausers and 1903's on their used racks for $25+/-. And we bought them and cut them up for deer rifles. There was quite and industry built around converting surplus military rifles into sporters. The gun magazines were full of adds for parts and services. The Gun Digest featured several pages of custom rifles with some of them built on 1903 actions. Fajen and Bishop did very well making and selling semi-finished stocks. In the early '60's, The gov't cleaned out their inventory of 1903-A3's and sold them through the DCM to NRA members for $10 plus a $4.50 handling fee. Myself and the guys I hunted with got 5 of them. My Remington was obviously un-issued; my Smith Corona was slightly used. We converted all of them. Three of them stayed '06, one was rechambered to .300 Win. Mag., and my friend left his Smith Corona .25/06 to me when he died 2 yrs. ago. The most recent one in my collection is a Remington 1903-A3 in .338 Win. Mag. that was on the rack at a local gun shop. It was nicely done apparently long ago, used very little, has a Denver made Redfield and now sits with its "brothers" in my safe. Of course, origional rifles are collectable now and are too valueable to cut up. I think that is partly because we cut up so many of them and burned the stocks in the fire place.
    edited November -1
    Ambrose, not a problem with the correcting. I'm not an 03 man. I'm glad to garner any info. any time when it come to weapons. Just glad the problem is solved for my friend. Prior to the muzzle ding the rifle was 'scary' accurate and it looks like it may be that again.[;)]