In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading presses

I have 4 reloading presses,3 from one company that have play in the ram,and one older press that has no play at all.Is play normal in a press,is it from wear or just sloppy manufacturing?

Comments

• Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any experience with Lee's Precision Turret Reloading press?

Is this a good press for the money?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all get some play after a short while. The die will still center the case and guide it to where it needs to go. I would not worry about it.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Any of the presses I've had over the years, 7, have not had any play in the ram. It sounds like someone didn't lube the ones that have play in them [B)]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has moving parts so it must have some room to work? Does the ammo it loads shoot good? Yes - fine, No - more information needed to correct prolbem.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have aligned the dies with a case or round in it, the play is not significant.
    If everything was absolutely perfectly aligned, then no play might be good.
    I have loaded really good ammo on loosey-goosey press and really bad ammo on a tight RockChucker. In neither case did I either curse the press or praise it.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are endless variables in our chosen hobby - the shooting sports. Everything from designing the machinery that makes shells and bullets to assembly to creating the firearms, etc. are all subject to tolerances causing individual parts to vary from perfection. We try to minimize these things through attention to detail but true perfection is never achieved, else all our shots would go in the same hole. Perfect fit in the press ram still doesn't account for fit of shellholder to the ram, shell to shellholder, concentricity & alignment of loading die centerline with ram centerline and on and on. It's a wonder that we can make ammo as accurate as we do. Bottom line: pay as much attention to detail as you can & a little play in the press ram probably will not be a problem.