In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6mm Remington

HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 6mm Remington. It's a 1/12 twist Hart 26" barrel on a M98 action. I keep reading that this twist isn't good with a heavier bullet. How bad is it with say a 100 grain? I was planning to use this as an all around rifle. Varmint to whitetail.

Thx, AT

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody have a load recipe they have had good luck with out of a 22 inch barrel using 87gn V max projectiles? How about 105gn A max's?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded some Hornady 87 SP for a friend's pronghorn hunt in 88. I think I used H414 but had to run it to max to get best accuracy. These were used in a Rem 788, BTW. I don't know what the twist is on that rifle. A different 788 I loaded for liked 75 HP bullets but again, needed nearly max to get the accuracy level we wanted.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start at 40 gr. for the 100's and 42 gr. for the 87's, of Re-17 and work up. Flat out awesome velocity and accuracy.

Added:
    I believe mine is out of a 24" barrel.

Added:

Hollywood,

The difference between a 22" and a 24" barrel isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. IME, about 50-100 fps. You will find a much greater difference using the RE-17 in the standard 6mm Rem case than that. I say std., because I also shoot a 6mm Rem Ackley. And for that I use RE-19 to form and RE-22 as my standard powder.

Something to remember with all reloading. What works in your rifle, may or may not work in mine. Barrel harmonics being the biggest factor. So, what I always attempt to do (nowadays anyways) is give you a good starting point and what to look for as far as pressure signs. Some barrels will show pressure signs early. Some chamber throats are cut to allow bullets seated way out. Others not.

With a starting load, you should be able to start the bullet at the lands and safely be able to work up a small ways at least without pressure signs. So, no matter what recipes you get from us, it is most prudent that you work up to them from a safe starting point.

-Good luck

quote:Originally posted by Hollywood
    So I bought the modified case and measured the chamber. Came up with 3.005. Does this seem kind of long, as in throat erosion maybe? I used a 105gn A-max bullet.

Your throat in that rifle shouldn't quite be that long. But, if it is, that's still not a whole lot of erosion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior, is that out of a 22 inch barrel?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hollywood,

I think swapping loads in pursuit of better performance is a great thing but you have to bear in mind that there are enough variables in reloading that the end results can be substantially different if you don't exercise care and control.

This preface stems from looking at loads from manuals compared to my loads and those loads of other shooters from specific disciplines.
    Be careful with the OAL when comparing loads. Bullet design (shape) can also have a noticeable effect on pressure and velocity if you don't pay attention.

Be sure that you know the twist rate for your barrel if you intend to shoot the AMAX bullets. As forgiving as this design is, you still need to spin it fast enough to maintain stability.

Best.

ADDED:

I'm shooting a modified 6mm Rem. case with a longer OAL which voids my contribution to your data collection, even though I shoot a lot of the AMAX bullets.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its the faster 1/9 twist in a Remington 700. The 87 grainers have shown good results with 31.7gns of Varget, witch is below suggested starting data in the Hornady book. The 105's I have just started working on. Thanks for all the input! [:)]

I was curious about barrel length due to the fact that I found mine likes a lighter load when using the 87gn projectiles. I am guessing this is perhaps due to the shorter barrel?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hollywood,

I'm on the run but I had the chance to locate my older notes on the 6mm Rem.

Your load for the 87 gr. VMAX is substantially low. Apparently it's the first accuracy node you arrived at. I suggest pushing forward to the best results from the case and the bullet. You're somewhere around 2500-2600 fps, I think. If pressure bothers you I suggest working with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V where a full case of the powder will not go over 50,000 psi but is very efficient for shorter barrels. You should get to about 3,000 fps.

Switching to the various 4350 powders will get you to 3100 fps and just under 60,000 psi. Ramshot hunter stays under the 60,000 mark but gets up 3200 fps. I have found an accuracy node for all of the higher velocities.

I'm not suggesting that velocity is everything but your load is really slow.

Let me know if you'd like some specifics.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I bought the modified case and measured the chamber. Came up with 3.005. Does this seem kind of long, as in throat erosion maybe? I used a 105gn A-max bullet.