In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recommend a faster press (turret/progressive)

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
I've done around 5000 rounds now on my single stage press, with only a couple minor issues early on. I want to keep it for doing precision rifle and for particular steps here and there.

For high volume rounds like .44, .45, and .223, I want to pick up something a bit quicker. I don't have the money for something like a Dillon at this point.

I've looked at the various 3 and 4 hole turret presses, and some of the progressive ones. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of each? Thanks.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Dillon Look on all the auction sites but My first choice is STAR I have 4 but Dillion has a number of different models for different prices. In my opinion anything cheaper then the cheapest Dillion . is throwing your money away you want to increase production you cant do this with a machine that constantly needs adjustment.and has very little factory TECH support Cry once buy a star or Dillon or use what you have.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ......I know. Just not in the cards at this point.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, a turret press is a dead end.
    All it does is store your dies together.
    How long does it take to screw in the next die once you have the lock ring adjusted?

Get a progressive for your pistol and blasting rifle ammo.
    Save up.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    In my opinion, a turret press is a dead end.
    All it does is store your dies together.
    How long does it take to screw in the next die once you have the lock ring adjusted?

Get a progressive for your pistol and blasting rifle ammo.
    Save up.

I agree, save and buy what you want ONCE!
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would seriously consider the Hornady machine. I love mine. I've loaded many 40sw and 223 and even 204 Ruger. I use ball powder or XBR 8208 or even Accurate 2015.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'll hold off until I can pick up a good progressive.

After a little research,it seemed like the loading speed of a turret was really not much faster then a single stage, so I was starting to wonder just how useful one would be.
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LEE Loadmaster! Quick caliber changes, built like a tank, inexpensive shell plates and extra turrets, and cheap!
    Upfront I admit the priming system sucks with all the plastic parts. I use range brass and handprime which allows me to inspect the cases as I prime. Five stations too!
    I have about 65k cases loaded on mine including lots of 223 and 308. But mostly I load pistol and I can take my time and crank out 200 rounds per hour. More if you want to hook up the case feader. I don't because I like to handle and look at the brass, the more you do the more likly to find split/damaged cases.
    The learning curve is no more than a Dillon and you can pick up a used one [at least before December] for $150-200. Midway sells one with a set of dies and scale and powder feed for under $300.
    I was going to move up to a better one but right now I don't see the need.
    If you are only going to do one pistol caliber I would also look at the Dillon Square DEal.
    Its too bad right now used stuff almost goes for retail!
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod
    LEE Loadmaster! Quick caliber changes, built like a tank, inexpensive shell plates and extra turrets, and cheap!
    Upfront I admit the priming system sucks with all the plastic parts. I use range brass and handprime which allows me to inspect the cases as I prime. Five stations too!
    I have about 65k cases loaded on mine including lots of 223 and 308. But mostly I load pistol and I can take my time and crank out 200 rounds per hour. More if you want to hook up the case feader. I don't because I like to handle and look at the brass, the more you do the more likly to find split/damaged cases.
    The learning curve is no more than a Dillon and you can pick up a used one [at least before December] for $150-200. Midway sells one with a set of dies and scale and powder feed for under $300.
    If you are only going to do one pistol caliber I would also look at the Dillon Square DEal.

by spending more to get my dillon, i am able to prime INSIDE the press since it actually works. I can do 100 rounds in 20 minutes without rushing. In my opinion a press, even if it were free, is completely useless unless ALL of its parts work properly. that is why i got a lee progressive press for free and then gave it away. the guy i gave it to used it for a little while, came and tried out my dillon, and then bought a dillon of his own. there is no arguing the quality differences.

the phrase: "Buy a Dillon, cry once." has been said thousands of times for a reason. My dillon along with my scales, calipers, dies, and caliber conversions (shell plates) etc cost a lot. I bet I have a grand wrapped up in it all. Only the press and shell holders are dillon. The rest is from other manufacturers. I shoot 10k rounds a year of reloaded ammunition. The ammo savings in the first year paid for it all. That was 10 years ago. In hindsight, the Dillon was pretty cheap for what it enabled me to do.

I have no experience with star but I have no doubt in perry shooters opinions. corners can be cut with lee products if they do NOT have moving parts. dies, shell holders for single stage presses, etc. Those things will work passably, but my lee dies are not as smooth as my rcbs dies. In a progressive press where more than one die is used at a time, smoothness counts a LOT. If it moves and says Lee on the side, expect it to fail repeatedly. Their presses are crap. Period.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod

I had two Lee Pro 1000. I think they cost me 139 or 149 each dies included! Although the presses are finicky, I knew that going into it. They both loaded decent ammo in their respective calibers, 9mm and 45. I didn't have many priming issues if I kept the primers full and used CCI or Winchester primers. With Federal or Remington the primers feeding would fail. I spilled plenty of powder, cleaned and cleaned to keep them both running. The 45 press had a few squibs using HP38, a ball powder. Needless to say this scared me. No matter how much you pay attention these presses did not produce consistent ammo. I had trouble with one of the shell plates always wanting to come loses, this slowed me down. You also had to go at the "Lee" pace. Go to fast you screwed yourself, go to slow and you screwed yourself. Needless to say I was tired of the headache.

In November I sold both Lee presses and tossed a coin up in a decision between a Dillon 650 and Hornady Lock and Load AP. I went with the Hornady primarily due to cost. The Dillon 550 and AP are relatively the same cost but I wanted something to auto index. Not only am I now making ammo faster, but it is more consistent. The quality difference between the Lee presses and the Hornady are night and day differences. I own a Forester press as my single stage press and it really is close when it comes to quality.

I personally can't recommend a Lee progressive in comparison to other presses.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the Lee "haters" are out in force! Mine works and last month I loaded 1k of nine and they all shot just fine and consistent. But a Pro 1000 would not be my choice either as it only has three stations.
    I shoot with lots of people who use Dillons and they all love them, but they have had problems too. Priming problems, powder feed problems. One fellow competitor blew his glock up with a double charge when he ran into timing problems, and he uses a DILLON! All of them have at least a thousand bucks invested in their Dillons with all the calibers and case feeder covered. "Buy Dillon and cry once" Yes I have heard that but most of them have cried more often than that. There is a learning curve with all progressives. My system and methods work just fine for me.
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    I use a LEE turret press but I still load in batches Ive only had a few problems with primer feeding but even that is rare and is human error (put primer in backwards) one the cases are cleaned resized and primed it takes me about 10 minutes to load 100 rnds.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm another Lee user, bought it used and it's worked great for many years. I have many friends that have Dillons, they are great, and customer service is top rate. I just never could justify the cost to change.
    W.D.