In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FAL powders

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
I've heard that you don't want to run slow burning powders through automatic guns with gas systems.

I usually load 4895 (either one) for my FAL 308, but I was wondering if Varget and Reloader 15 would be too slow. I know one writer said not to use anything slower than Varget, but the steel cased Russkie stuff I shoot out of it seems to be loaded with even slower stuff, like Russian stuff usually is and I haven't seen any problems.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The powers you mention, VARGET, 4895 and RE15 are all medium burning powders; that is why the charge weights are similar.
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard this about the M 1 Garand but not the FAL. My FAL has an adjustable gas tube and I think most if not all do.
    I have used Reloader 10 and 15, 4895, and some others with no issues.
    I don't think the FAL has these type of issues.
    Perhaps some gunsmiths with experience in repairs may have some comments.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod
    I have heard this about the M 1 Garand but not the FAL. My FAL has an adjustable gas tube and I think most if not all do.

Yeah, all FALs that I've seen have adjustable gas ports, and I've heard it's more of an issue with M1 and M1As because of the non adjustable nature of their gas ports and the shape of their op rods.

Just thought I'd ask.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod

Yeah, all FALs that I've seen have adjustable gas ports, and I've heard it's more of an issue with M1 and M1As because of the non adjustable nature of their gas ports and the shape of their op rods.

Just thought I'd ask.

That is correct. Also, you can buy an aftermarket adjustable gas piston for the M14, not sure if one is available for the garand.
  • Options
    AmishWarlordAmishWarlord Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had any powder problems with mine. Now shooting plastic tipped bullets on the other hand! The FAL did a prety good job of shearing them off every time.