In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Learned a valuble lesson about reloads.

4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
My freind called me and asked if I wanted a box of .338 Win Mag ammo he had no use for.I told him Yes as I have a new 700 Remington in .338 and am itching for a day at the range.

The story was a freinds father-in-law was big time into reloading and died.He got the shells from the son-in-law.There was a label on the box indicating what primers,powder,and bullets were used including the load data.

I am brand new to reloading and the first thing I did was check the load in the Hornady manual I have.The load was marked as H4831 powder with 74.8 grains and 250gr Sierra bullets.This was above the max load listed in the manual.

I was VERY concerned about shooting these loads and decided to tear them apart for the components which I will reload myself.When disassembling the loads what I found was both ball powder and stick powder were used,two different bullets some boat tail,some flat.There was also a bit of corrosion on the bottom of the bullets.They were loaded in August of 1987 so they were almost 25 years old.

It taught me real quick not to trust reloads without knowing exactly who loaded them and what components were used.

Comments

• wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4406v
    My freind called me and asked if I wanted a box of .338 Win Mag ammo he had no use for.I told him Yes as I have a new 700 Remington in .338 and am itching for a day at the range.

The story was a freinds father-in-law was big time into reloading and died.He got the shells from the son-in-law.There was a label on the box indicating what primers,powder,and bullets were used including the load data.

I am brand new to reloading and the first thing I did was check the load in the Hornady manual I have.The load was marked as H4831 powder with 74.8 grains and 250gr Sierra bullets.This was above the max load listed in the manual.

I was VERY concerned about shooting these loads and decided to tear them apart for the components which I will reload myself.When disassembling the loads what I found was both ball powder and stick powder were used,two different bullets some boat tail,some flat.There was also a bit of corrosion on the bottom of the bullets.They were loaded in August of 1987 so they were almost 25 years old.

It taught me real quick not to trust reloads without knowing exactly who loaded them and what components were used.

********It taught me real quick not to trust reloads without knowing exactly who loaded them and what components were used********

Exactly!
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall "Duplex" and "triplex" loads were talked about as how Dick Casull experimented and ultimately created his original .45 Colt maxi-loads in the 1950's (Until his .454 Casull was standardized with a bigger case, starndardized powder charges, etc). Lord knows WHAT would've happened if you pulled the trigger on one of those duplex .338's. (I bet on something bad).

A very valuable lesson, thanks for sharing!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I never shoot anything but factory in my guns or ones I did not reload myself and never give or sell any of my reloads to ANYONE. I will mentor my friends and let them use my equipment includeing my 4 Star progressive machines.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I never shoot anything but factory in my guns or ones I did not reload myself and never give or sell any of my reloads to ANYONE. I will mentor my friends and let them use my equipment includeing my 4 Star progressive machines.

Same here, my load, my gun, my hand.

Right now I have 3 people new to loading that are using my stuff under my watch and I cant stress to them enough of getting things right.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I before E except after C.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so how did they shoot?
  • AmishWarlordAmishWarlord Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having the load data was a good sign. If someone is annual enough to wright up good load data then they should be annual enough to make some good loads. Good thing you cheaked however.

Your story reminds me I need to destroy a box full of orphaned rounds. I have a box full of cartridges that has been collecting over the years. When I was younger and didn't know better I ran some loaded round through the brass polisher to shine them up. They probably have a fine flour instead of granules in the cases now.

The mystery of the exploding 45 Long Colts made me stop doing reloads for my friends. Seems that some times 45LC's just explode and blow the gun to pieces and no one can say why. I'd hate to have a friend lose a gun and some fingers using my reloads.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I have about 18 rounds of 357 mag a friend loaded for me in my desk drawer. I dont trust them as he is the type that pushes the max limits all the time and he thinks that is the only way to go with anything. I will probably break them down in the future and reload to my own specs.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly

That's pretty weird.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran

That's pretty weird.

Kinda' what I was thinking....lol
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

disproven by SCIENCE.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4406V

This also a good reminder that as Amishwarlord pointed out "orphaned" rounds can be forgotten what they were. This a good reason to get down to one load for each type bullet used, so they are recognizeable after they sit on the shelf a few years...and for some reason there is no label on them.

Point being, even with your own loads maintain consistency in such a manner as not have six or seven different loads laying on the loaded shelf and forget what they are. Make sure you keep stuff labled. And, recognizable if not labeled.
  • 4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My plans from the beginning are to work up a load my rifle likes and then reload a couple hundred rounds of the same load.I have 4 different calibers to load for so keeping them seperate won't be a problem.As a newby to reloading I am paying strict attention to details so I don't have any problems.I am taking my time and measuring twice.Safety is my first concern that's why I broke down the questionable rounds (I am glad I did)

This year I am probably going to shoot more ammo than I have my whole life.My goal is to shoot more and more often.