In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old .357 ammo... is it safe?

I came across some .357 ammo with the head-stamp R-P on it. I understand that the brass is Remington Peters. However, I'm unsure if it is factory or some one's hand-load. Some of it is FMJ and some is SJHP. And none of it has the distinct sound of powder rattling when shaken.

Is there any way to be sure of what I have?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really hard to be 100% sure. Use a hand lens to look at crimp and the region around the web. Compare to factory and known reloads.

Fuller case of powder common in 357 loads, not so much with 38 Special.
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be loaded with a flake type powder. More difficult to "hear" than ball, or extruded types.
    ENBLOC
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a magnifier to the case and look for thin lines running lengthwise on the case. Reloads will frequently show lines from resizing if the dies used are not perfectly clean. You didn't say, but I suspect the cases are nickle plated. Remington primers should match the case color. Remington loaded both FMJ and SJHP bullets in their .357 ammo.

Back when I carried a Smith model 66 at work, I carried some FMJ magnums for use on cars if needed. They punch thru glass and car doors pretty well.