In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ON MY WAY!!

SteveM74SteveM74 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
Busted my cherry in the reloading world tonight! First batch of .270 WSM in the tumbler as I type. I picked up some walnut shell bedding from the pet store @ 15 lbs for $12. Dug out an older light timer from our old Christmas light display and letting it go for 8 hours.

Comments

• Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 Hours should be more than enough time with that stuff. Running it any longer just makes the media break down faster and won't make the cases any cleaner.

I run dirty cases for an hour or two in the walnut from petstore, load, then another 15-20 minutes in a corncob media to get the case lube off. That'll really shine em up.

I've found that anything longer at either stage will just shorten the life of your media and won't make the cases any cleaner. I've tested this by tumbling brass for an hour and then comparing it to brass that I let tumble for a week. Both looked the same in the end. It can only get so clean.

Another tip is after separating the media from the brass or loaded rounds, depending what I have in there, I'll take the brass out to the garage in a container of some sort and give it a nice blast with the air hose while shaking it around. That will blow off the majority of any dust and keep it from going into my dies or gun.

And I don't wanna hear any crap from you other guys about not tumbling live rounds. Live rounds are all tumbled at the factory before they ship. Then they're shook some more in the semi truck on their way to their destinations. Same for powder, primers, and any other ammunition or reloading stuff. Another 20 minutes in my tumbler isn't going to make one bit of difference in performance.