In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pulling bullets

My old kinetic bullet puller that I looked for and found because a friend wanted to pull some old 45's

He asked how does it work? The adjustable spring loaded chuck was missing. It was always flying apart and one time when it did I couldn't find the missing parts

So I took my 45 shell holder from my Dillon press and used that. It worked well for all 200 cartridges

I asked him y so many? He said they were all mixed up and he didn't know what powder grain they were.

I ask him how did he know that
He said because some would shoot high and some would shoot low

I said maybe It's u[:)]
O no not me, it's the ammo[8D]

bulletpuller3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While reading an M1 post I noted Charlie gave a recommendation on Mil bullets to seat the bullet deeper to break the seal and then pull the bullet.

Having pulled thousands of Mil bullets (the hard way)I thought this was an easy process to make removal very easy. Thanks, I'll try it next time. May reduce the marks on the bullets.

I only pass this on in a post since it may not have been picked up by everyone. I learn something every week from you guys, thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some 30/30 cartridges of unknown origin.I have a RCBS bullet puller with interchangable collets.I haven't been able to pull hese bullets.I've never had a problem before.Since these are so hard to pull,could that have caused high chamber pressure?Any ideas would be appreciated.I don't even have a rifle that shoots 30/30's
    Thank You
    Jim
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of the problem is the crimp, part is the lack of a straight section for your collet to grip.
    Seating the bullet in slightly deeper, before trying to pull them often helps.
    Sometimes a inerta puller works better
    Worst case would be to use a set of end nippers to grip the bullet.

No, the case mouth expands to release the bullet when fired.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of GI ammo is also glued in with an asphalt base type tar, maybe yours are too. Seat the bullets at least 1/16 inch deeper to break that bond, then pull soon. I'm sure they have a heavy crimp to work in a tube magazine. The RCBS design puller is not the best IMHO.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dissimilar metals have a tendency to weld themselves togeather after while. They will generate considerable over-pressures. Try using the seating die and break them loose.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had this same problem, only it was 30/06.

I looked really carefully and noticed the collet? was actually grabbing the top of the mouth of the case. Barely noticable.

Make sure you are only grabbing the bullet, and pop the handle of the press.
    Mine came out quite easily after that.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always use the kinetic type pullers since you can salvage the bullet, case, primer and most of the powder.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    And if you set up a collet puller properly, you can still salvage all components as well, without spilling the powder. [:)]

I agree, break tension with a seating die first. I've gotten a lot of milsurp ammo with either iffy primers or brittle cases that still had fine bullets and/or the powder was good and I just wanted to recharge in a fresh case (I did work up the load by dropping a few grains to start)...once I learned this trick it went fast. Until then I swore at the puller like no other!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.The tip on using the seating die,and forcing the bullet a little deeper in the case worked fine.I won't forget this lesson.I also have a kinetic bullet puller,I don't like all the
    hammering,and sometimes the shellholder lets go,it is also an RCBS.
    Thank You
    Jim