In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

selling reloads

mjbuildmjbuild Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
What's the real deal in Texas can you sell reloads without a license. Or do you need a manufacturing license of some type. I'm not in the market of selling but there seems to be more than a few reload sellers at the gun shows

Comments

• Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge not legal anywhere. Also not a good idea. The liability issues are not a good thing.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need a type of FFL that has a ammo manufacture classification. Could be wrong?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I NEVER sell any of my reloads and Never buy or shoot anyone else Reloads . Don't advise you to do it[V][:(][xx(]
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need an Ammunition manufacturers license, a large liability policy and you have to pay a Federal Excise tax. NOT worth it.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anybody (here) comprehend the difference between Reloaded and Re-manufactured?
  • Options
    KC36330KC36330 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Does anybody (here) comprehend the difference between Reloaded and Re-manufactured?

Re-manufactured are mass produced reloads by a company with an ammunition manufacturing license.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    All remanufactured ammo is reloaded, but not all reloaded ammo is remanufactured.

The license to do this is fairly cheap- $30- if your locale is zoned for a business. However, other permits are around $2500 PLUS the insurance premium. So if you think you're interested in it enough to pay close to 3 grand a year by all means look into it; otherwise not worth it in any way, shape, manner or form, and illegal to do so otherwise. Even selling components is illegal- though if commercially made components (such as selling your once fired brass) you should be fine.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda like getting into a car, you have to trust the driver. If i trust the relaoder than i'll shoot them.
  • Options
    mjbuildmjbuild Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the responses are as I suspected - Thank you all.
    So then the rhetorical question is why are so many risking so much to sell so few re-loads [?]
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjbuild
    All the responses are as I suspected - Thank you all.
    So then the rhetorical question is why are so many risking so much to sell so few re-loads [?]

Not sure how much people who have replied know about selling components or ammunition. Will qualify and say I stopped doing it after the y2k panic and never did sell in Texas.

The person doing the reloading or manufacturing needs the license. Anyone that buys that ammo could sell it in the past, as long as you did not say you made it. Same as selling new ammo from any other manufacturer.

As to selling components, they are not regulated that I know of. Black powder may be an exception and again there may be local laws about primers and powder.

Remember my knowledge is old so things may have changed or your local rules may be different. Some of what I sold may not even be legal anymore with all the crazy laws out there.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been to a gun show here where there is not at least one large ammo seller with reloads for sale in ammo cans and I have shot thousands of them over the years and never hand a failure.

Emmett