In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sierra 52grain Matchking Accuracy

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
The best 5 shot 100 yard groups I have ever seen with this bullet are still in the low .2's....

Will these consistently shoot any better than that?

I'm talking about full out benchrest rifles. Anybody getting bugholes with this bullet?

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of my Rem 40X .22-250 with H380, Lapua brass, it will do that all day.

For powder, forget Hodgdon Varget, I have come to the conclusion it is better suited for larger cases/heavier bullets.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    In short, yes I've had good results with Matchking bullets...
    I don't have the notes, because when I sell a gun the load notes go with it, but I had a Howa .223 that shot the Matchkings under .2' all day, with several powders...Off the top of my head I wanna' say Hunter and -748 would be 2 of the powders, but don't hold me to it.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    MG1890. The bullet is only part of the equation. The case and the rifle along with other things are in the equation too. I have friend that has a 22 PPC in a heavy benchrest rifle. It shoots the 52 gr Sierra in the high .1s, lowest .139 highest .19s. He has shot in in the .2s too but that is another story.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that 52-53 grain range as long as they were flat based bullets they shot very well for me.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot these same match kings from a Remington xr 100 223. Great bullet with great results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all of the insight. I have shot a lot of these in the past, but have never been able to get them consistently in the .2's. Seems like I get fliers that make .3's & .4's. I just get tired of buying Berger's.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my 22-250s i found that 42gr of H414 is super accurate,fills the case to the top.41gr of H414 is very good also but not as accurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I appreciate all of the insight. I have shot a lot of these in the past, but have never been able to get them consistently in the .2's. Seems like I get fliers that make .3's & .4's. I just get tired of buying Berger's.

In what way do you credit the "flyers" to the bullet, as opposed to say, shooter error? Or are you simply saying you cannot get "tight" groups with the Matchkings ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I call them fliers. Of course a lot of perfect groups are ruined by the shooter. I'm just saying that Berger's don't seem to randomly spit bullets .2" out of the group. I do make errors, push the rifle, misread the wind, etc. But in a dead calm group after group with 1 flyer.... But not with Bergers....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I call them fliers. Of course a lot of perfect groups are ruined by the shooter. I'm just saying that Berger's don't seem to randomly spit bullets .2" out of the group. I do make errors, push the rifle, misread the wind, etc. But in a dead calm group after group with 1 flyer.... But not with Bergers....

If you're consistently shooting 4 out of 5 shots in a .2" group -regardless of bullet maker- I call foul, if you are blaming the projectile...