In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotshell reloading pressure

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
For a 20 gauge for a light load, 3/4 or 7/8 ounce shot, do I need to pick a powder and wad with a low pressure and low volosity? Some reloads may be shot in my Dad's old single barrel, but most will be used for clay targets in a modern auto. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any published loading/recipe should be fine as long as the barrel is not damascus.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about "kicking" , will it be lower with lower fps and lower pressur loads?
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For less recoil, use the lightest amount of shot. And the lowest velocity. But there must be a recipe for the 2 items.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I was thanking that was right. I have reloader pistol for years but have just started with shotgun, really just getting all my stuff and reading up on everything. Bought a Mec 600 Jr. and ready to try a few rounds, finally got some 209a primers but need 209's more choices with those. Thanks again, may have more questions later.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a light load in the 20, I match the old Remington Game loads that came in the green/white boxes:
    2 1/2 drams eg. of powder----7/8 oz shot
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look up the data at www.alliantpowder.com or www.hodgdon.com

They will have enough recipes to make your head spin.

Off top of my head, Clay's, Red Dot, Universal,ect. will be powders you would want to look at for low pressure loads.