In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet mold info

I have a Lyman bullet mold number 457685 DV.Anybody know what this
was for.It is a pointed bullet.I bought it several years ago with a
bunch of other molds,and forgot about it.I can't find any info in my Lyman cast bullet books.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Dunno for sure but it sounds like a 45/70 mold, the diameter is about right.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted

shot my .45-70 RB at Quantico this past spring and had no problem getting the distance. My problem was too light and I think wrong shape of a bullet. I was shooting the Lyman 457685 at 510gr 40:1, Avg Vel 1256fps, CCI 250 LRM primers, Starline .45-70 brass, 70gr 2F Swiss, .2 compression. Now I am using the NASA II bullet at 555gr 40:1, Avg Vel 1236fps with 75gr 2F Swiss, everything else the same. With both loads, the bullet is just touching the rifling. I have not been able to shoot this load pass 500m, but will give it a try at Raton in two weeks.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you transposed a couple of numbers. I believe it is 457658. It is a sharp pointed bullet designed by Ed Schmitt. I have the mold and have not had any real spectacular success with it.
  • 207driver207driver Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, 457658 is listed as 480 grain in my file. Would have better B.C. than the standard flat nose.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE USED THIS IN SEVERAL .45/70'S, IT'S ALWAYS WORKED WELL FOR ME.