In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fire forming troubles. 280AI

Kimber Montana rifle and both federal factory and my own reloads of 280 Rem ammo.
All the cases are sticking pretty badly in the chamber (which was cleaned before shooting) and I cannot rechamber a fired case. Bolt lift seems fine and the primers are fine. All bullets are 140 grain and my reloads are with 40 grains of 4895 and seated into the lands per Noslers suggestion. The reloads require a lot of force to eject and the factory stuff requires tapping on the bolt handle with a mallet to get the bolt to back out. I can't pull those by hand. All I'm trying to do is fire form brass.
Any ideas? I'm going to try to get it to my gunsmith on Monday.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    something is amiss with the chamber by the sounds of it. What do the cases look like?? is it a match chamber (tight dimensions)? did you have it throated for short/light pills? How far out are the bullets seated to make contact with the lands?? What does the bolt "feel" like as you rotate the handle down with an unfired case?? can you feel the .003" "crush" of the shoulder?

your 40gr 4895 is a starting load for the parent cartridge and 140gr pills (according to Nosler) so that shouldn't be it.

are there scratches along the case body?

are the fired necks nice and round?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something is not right. Factory ammo should work without problems. Primers do not always show high chamber pressures. I'll do lead cast bullets seated into the lands for fireforming cases that move the shoulder forward like a 300 Gibbs. Have you look over the fired brass carefully with a hand lens? See any scratches or lumps.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chamber is factory from Kimber. All cases were fed from the magazine and they all have an identical and fairly nasty and long scratch down the side. Necks are round. I'm still at he range. I'm going to try one without putting it in the mag.

So, I fed em in one at a time strait to the chamber an no sticking or scratching for 8 rounds. These smart phones are pretty handy. So are you guys. :) thanks for the help. I'll get this scratch issue looked into.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    soooooo, you got a good look at the chamber walls?? mark a case on the casehead, and feed it by hand. Then, remove the case after firing and check the mark/vs/the scratch, and you will have your indication of where the chamber issue is.

sounds like an old/worn reamer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the price/reputation of Kimber, I'd expect them to send a pickup label, fix it, and return it free.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect a rusty chamber!
    Take a bore brush and wrap with a white patch and make a snug fit ito the chamber until it touches the should area, make few twists and withdraw and look for at color of the patch, especially at the shoulder area. I suspect your main issue is at the shoulder area of the chamber!
    Quit shooting ammo until you find the issue! When you find your chamber issue one of the now tight fired cases will chamber ok, if the headspace is correct for the rifle!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Call Kimber. Time for a visit to the factory.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Call Kimber. Time for a visit to the factory.

Right, Call Kimber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah, it's their mistake, just make sure they use a new reamer,..or at least don't let the same one chatter in the chamber.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, the scratching occurs during chambering from the magazine not from straight in chambering. It accounts for binding in the chamber after firing.
    Examine the receiver side rails and feed ramp for a burr.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used 10 grains of 2400 with no bullet or filler.
    The rifle was a Cadet Martini and the caliber was 219 AI Zipper formed from 30-30 and 32 Spl brass. Necks had to be blown forward with shoulder angle steepened & sharpened.
    The rifle was pointed up vertically and fired.
    Cases came out perfect.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I finally got the thing sent back to Kimber and finally got it back last week. She's sporting a new barrel, there was a tight spot in the chamber, and is now putting three Barnes 150 grain TTSX's into 3/4 moa at 3100 fps and is feeding from the magazine just fine. I am very happy. Kimber did it right. Now I just need a sheep tag.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idahoducker,

Thank you for taking the time to report back to all of the members about the resolution of your problem. I always appreciate hearing the final outcome after a problem is encountered. It's great that Kimber came through for you.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    right on the heels of the 7mag[:D] that reminds me,..I gotta get mine out and shoot it soon.[;)]