In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which type of die

SteveM74SteveM74 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
I am looking to reload .223 for my Remington 700 and somewhat more sparingly a Mini 14. Which die set will i need? I am seeing small base and full length dies available for RCBS. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small base help with reliability issues in autoloaders. You could add a collet neck sizer for the 700.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are going to segregate your brass you will want a full length small base sizer die. If you set aside one lot only for use in the M-700 then neck sizing will give you a bit longer case life as you will be working the brass a little less.
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Unless you are going to segregate your brass you will want a full length small base sizer die. If you set aside one lot only for use in the M-700 then neck sizing will give you a bit longer case life as you will be working the brass a little less.

Big +1.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, segregate the brass between the guns. IMHO it'll last longer and will be easier to keep consistent if you're keeping the 700 loads/brass from the Mini loads/brass.

"Small -base" dies keet the tolerances on the small side, so they'll fit in the sutloader chambers easier.If the loads are for a bolt gun only, stay with the neck-sizing dies.