In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

static electricty when reloading

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
When reloading 20 gauge Winchester compression hulls I noticed powder sticking to sides of hull. First is this dangerous and second how can I get rid of this problem? I was trying to set weight of powder charge and pouring powder out of hull to weigh and saw several grains sticking to side of hull. It is hard to get all powder out of hull to weigh. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Thanks for any inforamtion on this.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens as a function of humidity. Rubbing stuff with antistatic dryer sheet can help. Ground yourself and gear to a real ground.

When checking bushings I throw the charge directly into the pan. Almost every bushing I have ever checked throws under, but I just run them according to the book chart.

It's a shotgun not a tack driver, a few kernel's of powder or BB's either way will have little effect.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a universal powder bar with a veneer dial for shot and powder. I am finding it hard to adjust to the right weigh with both powder and shot. +/- 2-3 grains seems to be too much varable on powder. Also can static electricty set off powder when reloading? I am new at reloading shotgun but have reloaded pistol for several years. Trying to go by the new Lyman shotshell manual on powder and shot weights, which is -5% , with no +%.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is very unlikely that static would set off your powder. Rock from space hitting your press about the same odds.

Primer dust build up has caused issues, not so much for sealed shotgun primers.

Adjustable charge bars sound like the ticket until you actually use one. Bushing are faster. Consult load data, check bushing chart. check bushing once each powder you throw, done.

Tips. Keep the hoppers above 1/2 full, by the time that level has worked it way down it is unformed in density.

Try and operate the press in a uniform manner. Slam the charge bar or the handle the same way every time.

Make adjustment, throw 5 or 10 charges then check; repeat until you are happy.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never bought the universal bar for MEC. It sounded like a good idea, but for reasons you just stated, I decided not too.

I can pretty much nail my powder throw @ +/- .02gr with a regular shot bushing.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is your bench sitting on carpet? if so, remove the carpet.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no carpet, bench is bolted to wall, real sturdy.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1, keep a couple of cut off shells (1 for powder, the other for shot) handy, both for setting the charge bar and for clearing the press.

2, throw 2-3 powder charges and dump them back into the bottle after making an adjustment

3, put 3-5 charges into your cut off hull, than weigh them all together and divide by the # of throws. If you weigh the empty hull first, you don't even have to dump the powder into the pan, simply subtract it from the total weight before dividing (with a digital scale simply tare out the weight of the hull first).