In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mec400 & Herter's #5 machine

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I have come into some old machines for reloading shotgun with fibre wads. They are the Mec400 and Herter's #5 machine. They are in good shape, just need (a lot)clean up.

Question: Any collector value?

Modification to modern plastic shell and wads would not be worth the time to do so, so if there's no value I'll just strip them for parts for my other MEC machines.

Opinions? Advise?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is some interest in mint condition Herder's stuff.

Flea bay has a mec 400 with the paper shell waxing iron for $90.

I run pacific presses and it loads the old federal champion paper shells fine as well as AA's.

I was happy to be shed of nitro cards and felt wads.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer007, I too was happy not to have to use nitro cards and felt wads.

I do, though, still load such recipes in the 20 gauge for early-season grouse and woodcock. With the right combination, I can get the equivalent of cylinder-bore patterns from both the IC and Mod barrels. I can't get those results with convenient plastic unit wads.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea those layered over the shot wads for roll crimp. Cubed shot or x inserts to make those spreader loads. I learned to wait a little or to not aim right at the birds to avoid blasting them to bits. Bigger shot was easy to remove as it drug in a feather to mark the wound channel.

Then screw in came on line. 40 years later my reflexes aren't as fast nor is my eyesight as sharp. Birds stand a good chance now, however I'm strongly considering upland hunting again. I wonder if my heart can stand the rush of a chucker exploding at my feet?