In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cordite

TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
I have bought a lot of .303 British "dud" ammo over the past few years.
I have pulled the bullets and used them. I also have saved up about 8oz. of Cordite. Is there any practical use for it?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kind of what I was thinking, but if you don't ask you don't learn.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have allways like the idea of Cordite. It looked like the BRITS just filled up a case with the stuff not all the different burn rates of our smokeless powder. However I don't think I would try to use stuff of WW II age that does not work as loaded years ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have allways like the idea of Cordite. It looked like the BRITS just filled up a case with the stuff not all the different burn rates of our smokeless powder. However I don't think I would try to use stuff of WW II age that does not work as loaded years ago.

The rounds that don't fire are because the primers don't work. A tenth of the ammo shoots fine, the other nine tenths have dud primers.
    I'll most likely just burn the cordite, but I thought I'd ask here if it has any other use first.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real hard part about loading Cordite is that the Cordite is inserted into the case BEFORE the neck, shoulder and body taper are formed. IOW into a straight case with the final shape made with the "powder" on board.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anecdote, not recommended practice...

When shorter barrels and cautious factory loading dropped .458 Win Mag below 2000 fps, some intrepid PWHs worked up loads with Cordite from pulled .303s.
    Reloading the straight case was not a problem.
    Velocities came up into the .450 NE range with "tropical" pressures.
    How much Cordite? Not given.