In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 LC and .45 ACP

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
Ok I see .45 colt at any where from .452 to .458.
I think I've seen .45 acp .451 and .452 jacketed bullets. But maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway what im getting at is, Are all .451 bullets 45 acp? If so
Why does a .45 LC bullet go from .452 to .458.
Confused JW.

Comments

• Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be short, yes, sort of. MOST .451 diameter ."45" bullets are for the .45 Auto round, as the bore size is a nominal .452. That was the spec when it was made. Lead bullets may be a bit larger than jacketed ones, so a .452" LRN will shoot in the .45 ACP as easily as the .451" FMJ.

.45 Colt bullets were originally spec'd a bit more (it's the older round) with .454 being the common size.

.458 bullets are usually designed for .45-70, .458 Winchester, .460 Weatherby etc. rifle rounds.

Nothing is set in stone, and no two bore sizes will be exactly the same (especially in an older gun). Some makes use a slightly larger bore (or chamber mouth, if a revolver), others' prefer 'tight' bores/chamber mouths. The sizes you see are the usual ones. I've used .452" LRN's in my .45 Colt plinking loads with no huge difference in accuracy over .454" SWC's. Custom bullet makers will make bullets to size if a customer requests it (Like buying .38 S&W bullets, they're usualy about .359" as opposed to the .357" of the .38 Special. Some guys will deliver them oversized for this caliber)

I personally do not load way oversize bullets into the rounds calling for smaller diameter bullets, however, as IMHO pressure increases above what is expected and the possiblilty of the round not being able to feed exists.

It's always best to slug your bore and see with a caliper what the exact minimum dimensions are. [:)]
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 Colt bullets are usually lead and sized .002/4 over the bore diameter for a proper seal in the revolver. Older Colts had a larger bore/groove diameter so you can find lead .45 bullets sized larger to shoot well in these. The .45 ACP was designed for jacketed bullets from the beginning and the standard diameter is .451 for these bullets. Some barrels may not be true to spec and the owners, after slugging the barrels for true diameter, may decide to use the larger diameter bullets for best function in these barrels. Otherwise, the .451 is the standard for the ACP.