In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

338 Win Mag Accuracy Load

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
Hi, Looking for a accuracy load for 338 WM using 250 gr. Sierra BTHP Match bullet. Thanks.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,

This will depend upon the barrel and conditions more than just trying an accurate load from any of us. Usually it's part of the process to work up a load from scratch or nearly so. Maybe this will help a little.

I was going through some of my notes on .338's last night and one thing seemed consistent with the .338 Win Mag., the accuracy node velocity, at least for my barrel.

It seems that when the loads approached 2700 FPS (+/- a pinch) the accuracy improved in my set up. Note though that this is the top end of the velocity scale for most powders. There are other nodes that I found near the 2600 FPS level also.

Powders that worked well for me at the time in the 26" barrel:

Re-19
    V V N-550 (nearly perfect)
    4350 flavors
    4831 with lighter hunting bullets only

Since this is a custom barrel there wasn't an excess of 'free bore' or leade. I loaded to magazine length and only used a slightly compressed load with the 4831.

Best.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thnks, this is a new build for long range heavy coutour fast twist for heavy bullets. Barelein barrel on rem 700 action. I just don't have the time for extensive load building and hoped for a little advanced info. this will help. out of all the calibers I load for .338 has not been one.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,

I sense your disappointment in the lack of viable precise information but most of us will probably just give a load which works for us in our rifles and won't provide much in yours.

I also don't think that this will be a protracted test situation since the most used powders are those I listed. The most common being the H4350 which I selected from the Hodgdon website. Their information is a pretty fair match to what I came up with so I suggest starting with the Hornady 250 gr. SP data and work up. You'll probably max out around 65.5 grains based on what I saw. This is based on the 3.340" OAL for the Sie 250 MK.

Remember to start your load ladder low and work up carefully.

Best.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you have been a big help. Just being lazy. I will work up a load with the 4350. More to show barrel accuracy for resale. Thanks again.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it helps I too found the loads with 225-250 grain bullets that shot best were at or near book max loads. Start safe and work up looking for accuracy with the least possible charge.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best 338 Win load was a 225gr TTSX at 75gr of RE19. Gave me a very consistent 2660 - 2675 FPS (yes that slow) range out of my bone stock rifle. This load was much tighter than .5gr either way.