In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trail Boss for 38 S&W

rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
Has anyone out there loaded 38 S&W using Trail Boss ?

I think Trail Boss should work well in this caliber (I have used it in calibers from 38 Special to 458 3.25" (a modern 45/120 Sharps) with good results) but I have not found any specific loading data for it in 38 S&W.

The IMR website says it can be used for ANY rifle or pistol cartridge. Their instructions are to fill the case to the level where the base of the bullet will be when seated. Weigh this powder charge. This will be the max load. 70% of this charge will be the starting load.

For the bullet I am using (Lyman # 358480 - 135 gr. SWC) this seems to work out to a max load of 2.7 gr. and a starting load of 1.9 gr.

Any information, comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works very well. I use it in my 38 & 357 loads per Hogdgon's data. Clean burning, very accurate, and great case fill for a visual check on powder quantity. Every caliber I have used this powder in is impossible to double charge a case as it will run over. Key to remember, is never compress a charge with the bullet seated, as it can cause high pressure, and accuracy will go to pieces.
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does the powder smell like when it's fired? Heard it smelled pretty bad.
  • Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...smells funky....like burning pee, or something like that!!!
    Yuck
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it's just me but I've never smelled anything bad from this powder. I do like the Trailboss powder. I load 38, 357, 44-40, 45LC, 45 acp, 30-30, & 45-70 with it.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load my 38 S&W ammo with 1.7 gr of Trail Boss and a 148 gr hollow based wadcutter bullet seated 2/3s of the way in the case and a light crimp.