In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

case life

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
Roughly how many reloads do you guys find you get on a higher velocity round, such as .223?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Read an article recently wherein the author claimed that high pressure rifle cases were only good for 3 loadings after the initial firing.

What?

I've reloaded some rifle cases in the non magnum class 5-6 times with full length sizing and more than that with neck sizing.

3 times seems low, even assuming full length sizing and magnum pressures.

Or am I just crazy?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What could I expect for case life in a .223, .22-250, .243, .308. Thanks[8D]
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did the writer specify the brand of case or was it a general statement?
    Maybe he was referring to a more cheaply made brand, I do not agree with his
    assessment if he says it's for all brass.
    I have loaded rifle brass, even hot 7mm mag more times then that, and I always full length resize.
    Now I do inspect all my rifle brass more closely then pistol , and do have occasional
    pieces " go bad " sooner then others.
    I do keep track of # of reloadings and after 6 or so I use them for "target" loads.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun rags have to have something to talk about. The editor's all run everything past their legal department, for their expert opinion. Just like senator whats her name; 'once the magazine is empty they will no longer be reloadable' or her assistant's correction, she miss spoke, she ment to say stripper clips.

Have you tried to find any ammo, or components lately?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how an author, or anyone else, could make such a broad-brush statement and not expect to be challenged. I have .222 cases that I have loaded 10-12 times - full length sized and annealed every 5 loadings. I have loaded some .300 Win Mag cases 8 - 10 times without failure - neck sized and annealed every 5 loadings. Inspect the cases and cull as needed.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Read an article recently wherein the author claimed that high pressure rifle cases were only good for 3 loadings after the initial firing.

What?

I've reloaded some rifle cases in the non magnum class 5-6 times with full length sizing and more than that with neck sizing.

3 times seems low, even assuming full length sizing and magnum pressures.

Or am I just crazy?

You well may be crazy, but that's not relevant here...lol
    Heaven knows WHY an alleged experienced reloader would make such a generalized claim...Are you certain he wasn't speaking about a specific chambering/caliber? If not, his ignorance is showing, is all I can "assume" (God, I hate to use that word!)
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have some cases that I have fired 100 times. I have others that are good for 2-3 firings. Depends on pressure and what you're doing, and what shape the gun is in.

Bottom line, let brass inspection tell the tale. Cracks, incipent case head separation, or a loose primer pocket means scrap it. Failing those, if trimmed and sized, it's good to go.
  • Options
    distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    I got more than 4-6 loadings out of my bottleneck brass before I started annealing and being cautous with my sizing.
    Now I am trying to see just how far I can push it.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a log on how many times the brass has been full sized, neck sized only and especially how many times the brass has been TRIMMED.
    I've found that after brass has been trimmed 3 times this is a GOOD indicator that the brass is at the end of its useful life as a HIGH VELOCITY LOAD. After it's been trimmed 3 times I then label the brass FOR LOW VELOCITY loads, and reload the brass for low recoil, low velocity loads with good results.

I've reloaded some brass 20 times or more by neck sizing only.
    I've also found it's quite common for NEW brass to require trimming when first fired. Also every once in awhile I've seen some NEW brass would be at the outer limit for trimming when new before firing.

Summary: I keep a HEADS UP on the log of how many times the brass has REQUIRED trimming to length and use 3 as a indicator of useful life without possible case separation for my regular loads.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    With half descent brass i had 10 & 12 re-loads without so much of a clean , neck & length only,(22H, 223,6.5, 7.62) & all sub 1" groups at 100yds.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could it be you were reading an article about reloading for the SMLE .303 British?

In that rifle, cases can stand only about three full-power loadings before showing incipient case separation. Cases loaded to moderate pressure like those with cast bullets can last a lot longer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FWAddit
    Could it be you were reading an article about reloading for the SMLE .303 British?

In that rifle, cases can stand only about three full-power loadings before showing incipient case separation. Cases loaded to moderate pressure like those with cast bullets can last a lot longer.

It was an article about some of the less popular magnum calibers (the Winchester super shorts and what not) and was in a sidebar about stocking up on brass lest the cartridge become unavailable commercially.