In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting ready to load for my wife's AR ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
... Rock River Arms. Here's what I got ...

P1000187_zps726c6e8b.jpg

Once fired brass (mixed) are currently in the vib cleaner. This is my 1st time reloading for it and I appreciate any pointers.

Thank you in advance.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have better luck with the federal primers. BLC2 is very heat sensitive. Be aware of this if you are near max and it is a hot day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    You will have better luck with the federal primers. BLC2 is very heat sensitive. Be aware of this if you are near max and it is a hot day.

Thanks, that's good to know ... I was looking for Varget but BLC2 is the only powder I can get locally. Do you have a powder recommendation that you don't mind sharing, just in case I ran into one.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DON'T MIX HEADSTAMPS. Different manufacturers have different brass thickness, which equates to different internal capacity. One case by one manufacturer, may be fine near max, and one by a different manufacturer, may have a lower capacity, thus raising internal pressures beyond acceptable limits.

When working a load, use only 1 headstamp. When switching, back off 10% from the accuracy load, and work back to it with the next type of brass.

I figure you already knew this, but maybe a newbie is reading this post.....
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Load overall length to fit in a magazine, regardless of what a book says. Develop max load using the same length. Where is your primer pocket swage?
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Thanks, that's good to know ... I was looking for Varget but BLC2 is the only powder I can get locally. Do you have a powder recommendation that you don't mind sharing, just in case I ran into one.

I use win 748 ( 26 gr. ) & H-335 ( 25 gr. ) with a 55 gr FMJ for plinking with the bushmaster .

Also , check the OAL of your brass , all the brass I picked up here & there were between .010 to .020" over max length .

Have fun and enjoy that evil black rifle [:)]
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    This is my 1st time reloading for it and I appreciate any pointers

pointy end of the bullet faces away from the brass.......prime before filling with powder [:o)]
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another 748 user here. love the stuff. I always shoot 55gr bullets out of mine and regardless of bullet brand, medium loads always shoot the best groups. No need to load to max for anything other than testing and seeing what it does.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

pointy end of the bullet faces away from the brass.......prime before filling with powder [:o)]

I am not a newbie in reloading, but thanks for your funny nonetheless.

Thank you all for your sound advice.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Size correct. Check that sized brass chambers and ejects easy(before primer or anything). If doesn't , most likely didn't push shoulder back.

Components should be fine. Although I have never used that powder. I like X-Terminator or A-2015 for 50-55gr bullets. Also use TAC and XBR-8208.

Never had a slam fire, but have heard Winchester primers are the softest. Tula/wolf primers seem to do well, I also use many CCI in my AR

I use same load in Win brass, LC, Federal, PMC and some European brass, never had an issue. I also run at max 223 loads. As 5.56 runs at higher pressure, check Ramshot's or Accurate's web site. They now list higher load data for 5.56 and rifles approved for "NATO ammo".

I've had good luck with 50-55gr bullets with twist as tight as 1/9. I am currently getting a 1/8 barrel to try with 60-64gr bullets for some hog work. Maybe that new Nosler bullet!?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    another 748 user here. love the stuff. I always shoot 55gr bullets out of mine and regardless of bullet brand, medium loads always shoot the best groups. No need to load to max for anything other than testing and seeing what it does.

I fully agree, just making sure I'm not forgetting anything on the safety aspect and avoid dealing with Murphy.

Thanks again to all, I really appreciate your willingness to share your personal experiences.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

I am not a newbie in reloading, but thanks for your funny nonetheless.

Thank you all for your sound advice.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    You'll 'prolly need to full-lenght re-size, maybe even small-base...I don't reload for an AR, so my .223 powder favorites might'nt work for you, but I've had good results with Ramshot Tac, X-terminator, W-748, yada, yada...DDO segregate your brass as mentioned previously, and of course, start mid-range or lower with listed powder charges......Good luck, be safe and have fun!
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    DON'T MIX HEADSTAMPS. Different manufacturers have different brass thickness, which equates to different internal capacity. One case by one manufacturer, may be fine near max, and one by a different manufacturer, may have a lower capacity, thus raising internal pressures beyond acceptable limits.

Good point. Lots of charts and graphs out there on 223/5.56 H20 case capacity. Here are a few examples. Note the 5.56 Military brass has more case capacity then it's civilian brother.

casecapacitiesresized.jpg

here is a good read on the 223. Note the case capacity chart, 5.56 has more capacity than 223.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

Also note that the difference in case capacity from 223 to 5.56 of several different manufactures is minimal at best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    steve4102,

Excellent read indeed, thanks!
  • Options
    cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded up a few hundred with BLC-2 using the recipe for 55 grain bullets on the jug. They chrono about 40fps under factory ammo and group out just as well.
  • Options
    aspieraspier Member Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    Thanks for this post! I'm going to start my first run with reloading .45 ACP and clearly, I'm going to have to rethink this!

quote:Originally posted by JustC

When working a load, use only 1 headstamp. When switching, back off 10% from the accuracy load, and work back to it with the next type of brass.

I figure you already knew this, but maybe a newbie is reading this post.....