In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

one load 2 rifles

I have Rem 700 vls in 223 Rem and it is a tack driver but to heavy for coyote hunting so I bought a Rem 700 sps in .223 I started a load ladder for the sps and just for fun I grabbed 10 of the loads for the VLS and to my amazement they shot with 1/2" or less accuracy I dont have to load for 2 different guns now I just load and shelf it.

Has anyone been this lucky?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had two rifles that will shoot interchangeable neck sized only ammo.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    All of my Winchester 270s like the same load, the old Jack O'Connor load. With very few exceptions, that load works better than anything else.
    That said, that is the only load/caliber combination I have found I can say that about.
    W.D.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I use Winchester brass with a Federal 205 primer and 25.7 gr of Benchmark with a 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

The VLS will shoot it at 1/4" or less and The SPS will shoot it 1/2" or less I bought the SPS to coyote hunt with I will take that all day long for a hunting gun!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found the exact same load works for 3 different remington 700 270's. (this is of course using the same bullet, brass, powder, primer etc).
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I have found the exact same load works for 3 different remington 700 270's. (this is of course using the same bullet, brass, powder, primer etc).

My load will not tolerate any changes at all I changed to a remington 7 1/2 primer and groups opened up to 1 1/2 inches.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    I have Rem 700 vls in 223 Rem and it is a tack driver but to heavy for coyote hunting so I bought a Rem 700 sps in .223 I started a load ladder for the sps and just for fun I grabbed 10 of the loads for the VLS and to my amazement they shot with 1/2" or less accuracy I dont have to load for 2 different guns now I just load and shelf it.

Has anyone been this lucky?

I had a contender barrel in .223AI and a Howa 1500 in .223 that both shot the same load very well(Read; much better than typical hunting accuracy), but in the end THIS load was not the most accurate in either one of them
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CapnMidnight could you tell me what the Jack O'Conner 270 load is. Info would be appreciated. Terrill
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Terrill,
    The classic Jack O'Connor 270 load is:
    130gr jacketed bullet
    59grs H4831
    Magnum Rifle primmer
    He did use the magnum rifle primer because the old H4831 stick powder was hard to light, this gave him better ignition.
    The modern version I use is:
    130 gr Nosler AccuBond
    59grs H4831SC
    Win WLR primmer
    As always, you should work up to this load. It should also be noted that I use the same load with Nosler 140 gr AccuBonds, in my rifles it has the same point of impact and I find no presure signs.
    The H4831SC is easier to light, and using the WLR primers there is no problem.
    As stated above, I've used this load for atleast 45 years with great results. Let me know how it works for you.
    W.D.
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CapnMidnight info is appreciated and will work up to this load and see how it works in my rifle. Others also might find this info of interest. Thanks again. Terrill