In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

press kit

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
If one were to order a press kit set up, with the intention of loading both rifle and pistol calibers, what would you buy? Cost is a consideration... trying to figure out component cost plus amortizing equipment over "some amount" of reloads...

(Yeah, I know component prices have gone crazy but I have wayback machine to use)

Comments

• Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A press is a personal issue, not best solved by committee.
    We can run down single-stage presses.
    Co-Ax - no kit that I know of, but the best, to me
    Hornady Classic ($320 for kit) or RockChucker ($320 for kit) - I prefer the Hornady
    Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit ($120) - this kit is geared for rifle and handgun.
    Since they will all work and you don't care about issues other than ROI, I would say look for the Lee kit. After you use for a while, you will probably want to get a "better" scale. I say "better" because while the Lee is as good as any, it is harder to read and irritates some people.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Id agree. Lee is very functional and they are a good company.Dont think you can get more for your money. I have a Lyman but a Lee will do anything it will and my last three dies are Lee and they are very good. Ive sized hundreds of shells with their trimmers, and I put it in my drill motor and it will work as well as any $150 unit.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee kit is your best value.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks.

Time to bust out hte calculator and start doign some math
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently have 4 presses and have had maybe 25 others. I like cast iron D or O frames, a C with a tie strap will work.

I like to prime with my Lyman 310 tool. Much better feel than any ram prime ever built.

I use my Forster case trimmer a lot. The deburring tool's with a center stud in the outside unit will save you from gouging yourself.

I like the Lee case lube unless it really tough then I use Redding's sizing die wax. Lee on a q-tip for inside case neck is a nice trick.

When seating bullets, I go 1/2 way then spin the case 180 degrees then complete the seating.

Industrially used bullet pullers with a collet designed to get tighter on pulling (Forster) are much better than the RCBS style.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far a start-up kits go, I bought a Rockchucker ammo-crafter kit years ago and have had no reason to regret it, it's still going strong. Most of the original accessory parts are gone - scale, die set, etc. The press I just keep cleaning and lubing it and it keeps spitting out the rounds.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    If you were to survey "X" number of people, you'd liekly get "X" number of answers to your question. I own a 30+ yr old rockchucker and I am quite happy with it, but I will say this...The vast majority of people I know do not care for the Lee press;the single promiment complaint seems to be thatthey claim that sooner or later they WILL break...
    I Do own other Lee products and must say that I'm pleased with the quality/value of those "other" products....
    Good luck with your "research", let us know what you decide [:)]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kept it simple and bought a press (Redding), dies(Redding & RCBS) scale(Redding), dispenser (RCBS), trickler, and loading blocks to start. Anything else was added after I got some experience loading.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They all work; but I agree Lee is the best value for the money.

I would suggest NOT buying a kit but starting with their classic cast press and buying what you need piece by piece. Some of the stuff in the Lee kit is junk, some is exceptional.

Don't let people who haven't seen CURRENT Lee products talk you out of them. 15 years ago the Challenger had issues, but if you get that kit, the current model is just fine for anything you'd care to load.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go in economically, you can spend more later.
    My 'progressive press' is 4 single stage pressing along my worktable.

You will want a 'compound leverage' press for full resizing of cases.
    (Others work OK , but it just goes smoother)

Although I have others, the Lee dies I have used have been VERY good.

The Lee press is deligated to a universal de-capping die. It DOES LOOK like it will break..with the 'C' style in cast aluminum. I'm not sure, but some Lee products are lifetime warranty. You would HAVE TO BREAK it though. (has anyone ? )

ENJOY !!!
  • Options
    distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    "Go in economically, you can spend more later."

Very well said.
    I would recommend the Lee kit to start with and go from there.
    I have stuff from most of RL manufacturers on the market and Lee usually give the best bang for the buck.
    Once you know how far/what direction you want to take it the sky is the limit.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked for sales, then started with a Lee Challenger set up. I now have 3 Lee single-stage and 2 Lee progressives, which work just fine on the 12 calibers (rifle and pistol) I load for.

All of this cost about the same as a Dillon 550 set up, sans dies.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    The vast majority of people I know do not care for the Lee press;the single promiment complaint seems to be thatthey claim that sooner or later they WILL break..

Seems to me there's a lot of complaints about Lee presses but like you most of the ones that complain have never owned or used a Lee Press. I think a lot of people don't like to admit after spending a lot of money on their choice of equipment that an American company like Lee can put out a quality product without price gouging their customers. I've been using Lee equipment even before Lee made a press. I was using the Lee Hand Loader back in the early 60's and it's still not even broken after over 50 years. My Lee 4 hole turret press is as good now as it was the day I set it up 15 years ago after thousands of rounds running through it. If anything was to ever break on it the part can be replaced at a fraction of what other companies charge for their equipment.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weellllllllll...sine I last posted the Lee "C" press I have (had) cracked where the pivot pin meets the body. The Challenger "O" and Lee 1000 progressives are still clicking along. Seeing as I got the "C" press used off fleaBay about 7 years ago for 10 bucks, and I've used to to full length resize hundreds upon hundreds of rifle and pistol cases, I'd say I got my money's worth. [:)]

Now if I just get time to send it back to Lee, I can get a new one for half-price.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    The vast majority of people I know do not care for the Lee press;the single promiment complaint seems to be thatthey claim that sooner or later they WILL break..

Seems to me there's a lot of complaints about Lee presses but like you most of the ones that complain have never owned or used a Lee Press. I think a lot of people don't like to admit after spending a lot of money on their choice of equipment that an American company like Lee can put out a quality product without price gouging their customers. I've been using Lee equipment even before Lee made a press. I was using the Lee Hand Loader back in the early 60's and it's still not even broken after over 50 years. My Lee 4 hole turret press is as good now as it was the day I set it up 15 years ago after thousands of rounds running through it. If anything was to ever break on it the part can be replaced at a fraction of what other companies charge for their equipment.

Sorry Smitty, I missed the part where I was "complaining" about ANYTHING; I did however notice the part(s) where I related what complaint from others seemed to be the most prominent, AND where I stated that I find the Lee products which I own to be a good value.....Guess I'll havae to brush up on my "Reading for Information" fundamentals [;)]