In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Alliant 10x

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a can of this stuff figuring to load .222 and .223 with it but find no data. Tried Alliant's web site but their data is pretty sparse and I found none for 10x. There should be an Alliant manual out there some where but I didn't find a way to get one. Any help?

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to their site and found info on "reloder 10x" same stuff?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have an "Ask the Experts" section. You can email the question to them.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I bought a can of this stuff figuring to load .222 and .223 with it but find no data. Tried Alliant's web site but their data is pretty sparse and I found none for 10x. There should be an Alliant manual out there some where but I didn't find a way to get one. Any help?

222 Rem, 40gr, 45gr 50gr.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=24&cartridge=45

223 Rem., 40gr, 45gr, 50gr, 52gr, 55gr.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=24&cartridge=46

What weight bullets are you going to load?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Steve. My rifles are bolt guns with 1-12 and probably 1-14 twist so I load 50-55 gr. I'm still going to get a copy of the guide since I use Alliant powder quite often. I checked my shelves and I have quite a few of the Reloader series so I should have a current powder guide--I've got some older ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I tried some of this stuff the other day. Alliant data lists 21 gr. with 50 gr. bullet in .222. An article in a gun magazine noted a "favorite load" of 20.5 gr. with the 50 gr. Sierra blitz so I started with that in new cases in my 788. My first 5-shot group was nice and tight but the cases were smoked and the average velocity reading on my Oehler was just under 2700 fps with a 200 fps extreme spread! Not enough pressure for the cases to obturate. I had put up some of the same loads for my 700ADL but in neck-sized cases that had been previously fired in that rifle. The cases were not smoked as bad but the velocity was still only 2740 and the extreme spread 125. So, unless I'm willing to go over Alliant data (I'm not), I guess I found a way to turn my .222's into .22 Hornets.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Apparently, Alliant and others are willing to stay with the starting loads at the lower pressure out of concern for the problems that might occur with older firearms such as the Savage 340. This rifle did not have a robust lock up like the other modern two lug systems such as in your Remington. Just for grins I checked the Hodgdon website for loads and that's exactly where your load falls, right down at the starter loads.

I suggest calling Sierra and discuss this with their Ballistics techs to see if they have some additional information and data to use for your rifles. Explain your tests and see if they can make a sound recommendation.

Best.