In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 204 ruger

Due to the ammo shortage I am compelled to reload for my 204 ruger. Have been researching and reading user comments looks like H322, Varget, benchmark and 4895 are being used to phenomenal success and accuracy. Half inch groups at 200 yards with 32 grain 40 grain bulletss.? Any input out there guys.

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I used benchmark in mine and it loved it I got .2 groups at 100 yds out of it. I use benchmark in all my small bores
  • Options
    woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. It'll be my next purchase.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CZ527 and a Ruger Hawkeye in .204. A couple loads that shoot well in the CZ are:

32 gr. Sierra Blitz King--27.5 gr. H322--Win case & WSR primer
    39 BK--29/RL15--Win/WSR

The Ruger:

Shoots well with both above loads and especially with:
    40 Nosler ballistic tip--29/RL15--Hornady case/WSR

The Ruger also shoots the following factory loads well:
    Win. 34 gr. JHP
    Hornady 40 gr. V-max

I have tried several other loads and these shoot the best in my rifles. I have fired these over the chronograph and the speed is right up there. The CZ is more fussy than the Ruger.

If you have any of the powders you mentioned, you might start with those. The .204 seems to like powders of that burn rate.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used IMR 8208 the most, no half inch groups at 200 yards, but under an inch at 200 is normal. My Howa heavy barrel shot the 32 and 40 gr vmax well, and the 39gr blitz.

I never tried a load that didn't shoot well. Love this round. I've used AA2520, RL-15, TAC and IMR 3031. I believe only Federal primers, did try Fed match. But noticed no deference from std Fed primers.

I did just rebarrel my rifle with a Shilen 1/10 twist. Looks like it likes less jump where the original barrel liked factory COL as good as anything.