In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 S&W brass

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
I have read that some 40 brass fired out of certain firearms with unsupported chambers may bulge and should be sized in a pass through die to correct this. Which firearms cause this condition and how prevalent is it? Must the brass be sized this way all the time?

Comments

• Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glocks bulge in older models. I would not reload bulged brass, but thats me. Many do. Hodgdon has this warning on there website. quote:This data is intended for use in firearms with barrels that fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Use of this data in firearms that do not fully support the cartridge may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, case-head separation or other condition that may result in damage to the firearm and/or result in injury or death of the shooter and/or bystanders. 40Support.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The older Glocks were the problem. The newer ones have more head support for the case.

Not sure about the pass through die, never have seen one.

I just throw any suspect case into the recycle bin. When I reload 40 S&W I don't load them anywhere close to max. They are medium loads that function the gun and give me practice.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee makes a "Bulge Buster" for correcting this problem. Here's a link.

http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/lee-bulge-buster-kit/

I have one, and it works as advertized. Finding one right now may be a problem though.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glocks.

The pass through die works great according to a friend who uses one and reloads cases fired out of Glocks.
  • Options
    anglefireanglefire Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks for that info, I use to send my brass to Custom Brass Processing to have that remedy but he close down, now I can do it myself...thanks anglefire

quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Lee makes a "Bulge Buster" for correcting this problem. Here's a link.

http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/lee-bulge-buster-kit/

I have one, and it works as advertized. Finding one right now may be a problem though.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting to note that they do not recommend doing this to 40 S&W brass fired in a Glock in their instructions.

No reason why. Area of non-support too large?
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Do they explain why?
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    CYA......... The 40 is a high pressure round. A bulged case COULD increase the chance of case separation. Most of my rounds are not loaded to the max so I don't worry about it.. I really have seen very few cases that were bulged so bad it was obvious but I have had many that had just enough bulge to require a bump of the slide to chamber and the pass through die has resolved that. I question if the latter would EVER cause a problem with case separation unless they are repeatedly fired in a Glock or other gun with inadequate support. Given the nuber of Glocks used in this country I suspect most re-manufactured ammo has a high percentage of "glock" brass in it yet we don't really hear of any problems.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you to all that replied to this post[:D]