In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I found primers, now can I use these?

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am trying to learn reloading but parts and money are hard to come by right now. More so parts. So I am learning to start with 12 gauge. I'm partway through reading my shotshell reloading book. What I am seeing is very specific, such as if you have winchester hulls, you must also use winchester primers and wads.

Problem is I found CCI shotshell primers. Everything else continue to be out. I am not even aware of CCI having any shotshells, but I do have a good amount of Federal, Rio, and Winchester hulls for reloading. Question is, can I use CCI primers in non CCI hulls, or do I have to stick with the book and use components of the same brand in my hulls? I think it will be quite difficult if you can't change what you use in what you have available.

So my question I guess is, do you have to go 100% by the book or can you use different combinations of materials in a reloaded hull, such as a federal hull, CCI primer, winchester wads, etc?

Comments

• DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI shotgun primers will work in about any brand of shotgun hulls. Get a reloading manual for shotshells, and follow the recipes listed therein.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a lot safer to follow the book exactly. Some primers are hotter than others. The ones that aren't sealed over the ends shouldn't be used with ball type powder. Be sure and check the bushing/bar actual drop charges.

Watch out for folks selling the old small primer size 157? instead of 209, not many hulls left that use the small ones.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI are medium strength primers as are WIN and REM. You should be safe in using them. I would stay away from the loads with the highest pressures listed in your reloading manuals until you have more experience. Be aware that CCI primers are a couple of thousants larger in diameter than the others listed above and so if you start using them in your empties you will probably want to or have to keep using them as you may get gas leakage around the primer if you don't. They are not bad primers, just a little different than some. I use them when the primer pockets start opening up a little and i get leakage, and then i get several more reloads out of the cases. CCI 109 or 209 are interchangable. Don't apply to 209M as it is a magnum type primer and i suggest it only in loads listed for it.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    If you want to learn reloading, experimenting is a great way to do it as long as you do it safely.
    Design a load using the components you have by looking at lots of load data info available on the net and asking questions on this forum (but don't take for gospel anything you hear, including this post). Stay on the low side of the load data, load a few and shoot them and see how they work. Learn what you have to watch for (signs of excess pressure, etc.) and work your way up 'til you find the load you like.
    Have fun.
    SS
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1
    on the CCI 209M. They will raise pressure in standard primer data loads. Otherwise, use the CCI 209 interchangeably with Win 209. Using primers of the same brand as your hulls is not a requirement.
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    +1
    on the CCI 209M. They will raise pressure in standard primer data loads. Otherwise, use the CCI 209 interchangeably with Win 209. Using primers of the same brand as your hulls is not a requirement.

Sounds good. I only have CCI 209. Not intending to get 209M.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note; some hulls have larger primer pockets than others (rio), if your primwers offer some resitance while being seated you are good to go.