In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.270 Hornady GMX bullets

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
I was given a box of these in 130 gr. I have several load recipies that work great with convential 130 gr. cup & core bullets but have never experimented with solid copper bullets. I do not have the latest Hornady loading manual (yet). I load for about a dozen BA rifles; from an early Winchester 54 to a Ruger American. Also, a .270 WSM. Anybody have any experience with these bullets?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady says use conventional Data.

I did the same for my first batches of Barnes TSX bullets for loading 130 gr .270 and 100 gr .257 Roberts. Started on the low end and worked up. So far so good!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Although I am not a fan of the .270 anything, we built a .270 WSM to test some bullets for pure hunting experience (nothing to do with competition). Hornady was kind enough to send off a couple of boxes of their best hunting bullets for the testing, one of which was the GMX. We didn't do anything special with regard to loading since Hornady suggested using their standard loading procedures. Target accuracy was very acceptable but the performance on deer was excellent at ranges from about 70 yards to over 500 yards.

In the time since then, we have necked the WSM case up to it's limits and used whatever GMX bullets were available for the loads in each case. All of these cartridges have performed admirably on game. Two of the cartridges have made it over to Africa where they harvested plains game multiple times, all with once-shot kills.

Follow the mantra of reloading, being careful and meticulous, then go have some fun shooting!

Best.