In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3 or 4 pc

I am looking at getting into reloading 45acp, I cant find the 4 pc sets with the crimper but I dont remember using it when i had one. should i just look for the 3 pc set?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my 3 die Lee carbide set. I even load 45 Colt with them. I think they have loaded 2 eight pound cans of Bullseye and are still nice.
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume you are referring to the Lee factory crimp die set, it has 4 pieces. I bought the RCBS .45acp die set and later I bought a Lee 4 piece die set in 38/357 set and loved it. I bought the factory crimp die for .45acp and I have since bought one for ever caliber I reload. They are about $18 online just for the factory crimp die, so it is cheaper to wait and buy the whole set for around $40. I have been waiting on a Lee 4 piece for 9mm for 3 months now. For me, it is worth the wait.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most 3 die sets have an expander, but no taper crimp die. The seating die can be adjusted to close the mouth of the case (although using a separate taper crimp die is recommended). Some (Redding sells one) have a taper crimp die but no expander. I just buy whichever is missing, always use 4 dies to load straight wall cases w/ no cannelure.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on the comments from NI.

Regardless of the dies, get the final crimp die from Lee, saves a world of issues. After using it on my .45ACP I bought one for every pistol and rifle.

Not that you can't do great with the 3 die set (loaded 40 yrs. with just that), but why not make it easier and better for only a few bucks more.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Where are the 4pcs sets for 40 bucks? I found them for 50+. When I reloaded 45acp before I never crimped. But since I am looking for dies I will search for the 4 pcs set.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    $40.84 at FSRELOADING.COM
    They are also on feebay.

Or just buy a 3 pc. carbide set and order the final crimp die. Gun shows are a great place to pick up used carbide dies for between $5-15.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    there are slim to none for gunshows here in IL.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    With 45ACP you should really Taper crimp NOT roll Crimp unless you Trim cases First. Please look at the two Sticky post on top of this forum.I have loaded over 300,000 rounds of 45ACP for match shooting
    45acp cases get shorter every time you reload them. Taper crimp is the way to Go