In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rcbs electronic scales

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
I'm about to return the third rcbs model 750 range master scales. Carried two back already. Thought it might be the neon lights in my shop at first, then static. But after checking everything they still do the same thing. Weight starts jumping around after calibration. I'm giving up on electronic and going with mechanical.
Jw

Comments

• NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an older Pact model. Cordless phone would make it go haywire! I know alot of people love digital scales but I will stick to my beam scales! Even if they are off +- .1gr its still consistent!

quote:I have had mine under all manner of conditions and it works perfectly.
    Of course, I also still have the Ainsworth digital I bought in the late '70s and it still works perfectly.
    1) you need a wind shield if there are any breezes in the area
    2) it needs to be relatively level and removed from press vibrations

but then, so does a beam scale.

I would have to disagree, my beam scale sits on my bench subject to all kinds of press vibrations, and small breezes in the garage don't bother it at all. For me simple is safe! I zero it about once a month just to check, and its been years since I had to adjust it.
    I don't think I could use a digital scale again. Just too sensitive to surrounding factors. Telephone, furnace, press vibrations, other electronics in the garage. Kind of like trusting a dog that bit your kid!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have an older Pact it has never failed me in 20 + years I store in a box when not in use and don't abuse it. I also have a beam balance scale . plus I bought a scale off of internet I think was made to sell drug dealers Was cheap works great for pistol loads. I keep about 10 different bullets in a box from 45 grain up to 230 grain I normally weigh 4 or 5 when I set up the scale just to make sure. I think Pact makes the units that RCBS sells.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've had an RCBS Range Master 750 for several years, no issues at all.
    W.D.
  • McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwharding
    I'm about to return the third rcbs model 750 range master scales. Carried two back already. Thought it might be the neon lights in my shop at first, then static. But after checking everything they still do the same thing. Weight starts jumping around after calibration. I'm giving up on electronic and going with mechanical.
    Jw

A draft will make it jump around a little bit...do you have near an HVAC vent???
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    What's the point of the electronic scales? My RCBS 505 NEVER fails.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman electronic scale, it works well overall. There are some quirks, and it is sensitive to other electronics, vibrations and air currents.

I really would like a RCBS Chargemaster for my rifle loads, I just have to set the money aside somehow.....[:)]
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had mine under all manner of conditions and it works perfectly.
    Of course, I also still have the Ainsworth digital I bought in the late '70s and it still works perfectly.
    1) you need a wind shield if there are any breezes in the area
    2) it needs to be relatively level and removed from press vibrations

but then, so does a beam scale.
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All three that I've had do the same thing. You calibrate, set pan on scale and zero it. After a few minutes it will read 1, then 2, then 3, and so on. I've tried everything unplugged neon signs, tv, made sure their level everything I can think of. I'm just already of the scales. Tired of recalibraing them every time I weigh a load. I'm using the balance beam.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a truly flawless digital scale, get this one from Berry's Manufacturing: http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14859-c107-g8-b0-p0-ACC_2000_Digital_Scale.aspx
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwharding
    Jw

Hard to beat a good gravitational pull..............
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:A draft will make it jump around a little bit...do you have near an HVAC vent???

That's one of the reasons I went with a Laboratory type electronic scale. It has the glass enclosure that keeps air movement from screwing it up plus they're a lot more accurate. I also got tired of replacing cheap electronic scales that never gave the same read out with the same weights. I could weight something and then pick it up and then weigh it again and the majority of the time never get the same measurement twice. My old Lee Beam scales are dead on accurate but the electronic scales are a lot faster to use and easier to set up.

AmstonScales_zps0941a723.jpg[/URL]
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

+1 Newer isn't always better as gravity never fails........
    edited November -1

We didn't really need the automobile either because the horse did a very good job but the car is a lot faster as are the electronic scales. My Lee Beam scales are dead on accurate also but the electronic scales are so much easier to mess with.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A tenth of a grain is a very small weight. A pound contains 7,000 grains a tenth is 1/70,000ths of a pound, as light as 2-3 kernels of some powders. Unless you live in a perfectly stable and controlled environment you can NEVER keep outside influences away from having an impact upon the scale. The updraft from your body heat can create air movements that can impact the scale.

You might want to put the scale into a small room, seal the door and see if you still get the jumping numbers. The scales sold today are good, reliable and accurate.
    edited November -1
    quote:You might want to put the scale into a small room, seal the door and see if you still get the jumping numbers. The scales sold today are good, reliable and accurate.

The scales I bought have their own little glass enclosure that blocks air and body heat and I don't get any jumping around numbers with them. The panels are glass instead of plastic so you don't get static electricity either. If a person did any competition bench shooting they would be a great advantage because they are so sensitive you can measure down to a single granule of powder so you can get consistent loads every time.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    When my Pact scale starts freaking out, I just unplug the 9V adaptor, wait a coupla minutes, then plug it back in and calibrate using the enclosed weights. Then I check with my RCBS check weights.
    It sits on the kitchen counter across the room from my reloading bench.
    No problems.

A friend (over 65) got a Pact scale, couldn't figure out why it kept giving bad readings (he had it on the top of his Dorm-size refrigerator), complained to Pact several times (they replaced it twice), and finally sold it to me for $40; it still works flawlessly on my countertop.
    That was over 10 years ago.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ummm...they work? My RCBS Chargemaster has been flawless for the last 3 years. I love it. Fast and reliable. And it dispenses, so I don't have to.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run the greay PACT combo. It works flawlessly every time
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had an RCBS Micro Pro for a log time now and it takes fits like you describe every time I use it. When I turn it on it's fine but in a minute or so it will start flashing ERR or whatever. I turn it off and let it sit with the power cord still hooked up,turn it back on, and go to it. I make sure I check for zero between every load. I've called RCBS once and I forget what they told me. One thing I had to figure out on my own was not to try to trickle into the pan with it sitting on the scale. It's accuracy is +/- .5gr so it wont show any change unless it is .5gr or more. I learned to trickle into the pan off the scale then put it back on to weigh it. Calling RCBS can be an experience. Sometimes I get help sometimes I get attitude.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must agree with how sweat the RCBS Chargemaster works .

Just started using mine and I like it a lot for loading rifle rounds like the 06 or 270 win's
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Pact scale and never had a problem with it,
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my 2 cents- Electronic scales need to be treated just like laboratory scales. Kept in one stable spot, the environment is 95%+ consistent from day to day. I only know this from my Quality control electronics background. Repeatability needs to be 110%.