In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old empty shotgun shells

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
A friend of mine just cleaned out an old house which had a lot of old reloading stuff in it. I believe that some of this material might be useable. the old hulls were stored in trash cans an look good, I would classify them as once fired. My question is that they could be 30 years old, would this make them unsafe in anyway ? I assume the bag lead would probably be worth more as a novelty. He also has several cigar boxes of old rifle & pistol brass marked sized an deprimed around 1968. Is this old brass dangerous to reload or is it in the novelty department also ? I am sure part of your response will suggest visual inspection. I guess the question is does the age alone disqualify the materials from use ? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Age does not, condition does.

I load 30-06 from 1917 and other brass right up thru present day. Clean it up and inspect it, if it looks good load it.

On shotgun shells I am still using hulls from 1960's in some cases, again you've got to inspect it. The plastic in some hulls can shrink or become "hardened", but in most cases it works just fine.

Sounds like a good find.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really old brass from the mercury primer era is weak. Plastic gets brittle from ozone or UV light.

Someone probably collects bags of shot, Winchester brand for sure.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bags of lead that old would defiantly be corroded.

The hulls could be used by someone, but depending on condition if they wanted to spend the time to clean them up.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never heard of anybody collecting "bag lead."
    Shot is at a high price now and would definitely be worth a good bit to a shotshell loader.

If the shotshells are in good condition, they are usable, but may call for the obsolete #57 primer or some odd wad.

1968 is not old for brass.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Easy enough to clean lead shot and at $2.00 a pound(current "fair" market price), well worth it.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lead shot is about $35/bag here. How much in your area?
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no reason not to use old shot. I would just mix a little powdered graphite with it and stir it up to coat the shot. I would separate the hulls by the type of crimp. 6 or 8 point, paper or plastic. Most modern loaders will not work on 6 point crip shells. Good usable double A hulls are worth about 5 cent each.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. I traded for the stuff today.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Lead shot is about $35/bag here. How much in your area?

$52.49/ 25 lb bag at Sportsman's Warehouse. More everywhere else.

SS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These bags appear to be old, would a collector pay more for the bags of old #8 shot ? Advance Brand Chilled Lead Shot, Winchester American Standard, Phoenix, All American,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen people pay $200 for minty empty boxes of 12 ga. The Winchester marked sacks will be worth more than the others IMHO.

If any of your hulls uses the small shotgun primer, they might be worth more too, as the primers turn up cheap at times.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I haven't got started yet going thru all the materials. Some magazines from the 60's lots of pistol brass some military 38special,
    old cigar boxes full of brass. Would the best way to go be to list some of the items on the auction side ? Question there are several cans of powder can they be shipped safely ? Several Hercules cans, different mgrs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shipping powder or primers is lots of work. Minty condition powder cans like a Hi-Vel #3 from Hercules will likely not be found with powder that is any good. The can is the collectable part usually.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell 23# bags of shot for 39.50, a lot less than Bass Pro and a couple others near me.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typo on previous post. 25# bags