In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

H4831SC?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭
When loading with H4831SC should a person use the same sharge weight as when using regular H4831? Hogdgen's site only shows regular 4831.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,958 ******
    edited November -1
    "H4831SC should a person use the same sharge weight as when using regular H4831?"...............yep
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, MW! So what is the advantage (if any) of the SC over regular ol' 4831?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They cut it shorter so it meters better.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .......and it takes up less space in the case so it doesn't compress as much.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    and, it is easier to light than standard H4831.
    Jack O'Connor specified magnum primers for his 270 Winchester loads of 59grs H4831 behind a 130gr bullet. Using H4831SC, standard larg rifle primers do a fine job.
    W.D.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    .......and it takes up less space in the case so it doesn't compress as much.

I like compressed loads. I find the velocities to be more uniform.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, gents!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my favorite powders[^]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D. All the above.

The powder is designed to emulate old H4831/IMR4831 burn speed. Part of that is being able to use the old information with the new powder.

It does not require magnum primers to keep consistent in hot/cold temps.

It meters better.

It also compresses more uniformly as it has smaller kernels. Unlike IMR4931 and old H4831. Even the original H4831X. Compressed loads are great. But "more uniform" is more uniform.[;)] Smaller kernels fit more 'evenly' into the case.

And for the correct cases, it is one of my favorite powders as well. Especially H4831sc.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I use H4831SC in most of my hunting caliber rifles, 264 Win Mag, 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag. Works great in all of them.
    W.D.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Origionally posted by sandwarrior:

"The powder is designed to emulate old H4831/IMR4831 burn speed."

Please note that H4831 and IMR4831 are not the same. IMR4831 is somewhat faster burning than H4831 and will require lighter charges.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Origionally posted by sandwarrior:

"The powder is designed to emulate old H4831/IMR4831 burn speed."

Please note that H4831 and IMR4831 are not the same. IMR4831 is somewhat faster burning than H4831 and will require lighter charges.

Yes, it is not exactly the same speed. It also has some different properties. "Emulate" in this case simply means it is close enough to be used in place of for about the same purpose. I guess I should have a standard stamp to tell people to safely work up a load. I'm really at the point that when I dispense that advice, I assume they already know to do that.

So here it is: "A good reloader also knows that even with the same powder, you still work back up to the point you were before, even when just changing lots."
    edited November -1
    Got more answers than I was expecting![:0]
    So anybody have a favorite load for the .270 Winchester with H4831SC?
    I've got some Sierra 140 grain HPBT's, 140 grain SPBT's, and some 135 grain HPBT's. The 135's are Matchkings and the others are Gamekings.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Got more answers than I was expecting![:0]
    So anybody have a favorite load for the .270 Winchester with H4831SC?
    I've got some Sierra 140 grain HPBT's, 140 grain SPBT's, and some 135 grain HPBT's. The 135's are Matchkings and the others are Gamekings.

RE: H4831sc, I've worked up to 59 gr. in some rifles. But, the more accurate loads were in the 56-57 gr. range.

Please see my cautionary note about not working up to max with one powder when it only "emulates" another powder. Each powder (and lot of each powder) should be worked up individually to a safe level. Desired accuracy is the key here, not a few extra fps.